The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Is Happening To The Weather?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Mr. Blonde

• First timers
    • View Profile
What Is Happening To The Weather?
« on: 14/01/2005 07:07:33 »
It seems to be getting more and more abnormal, and completely 'out of whack' you could say. Theres an overabundance of places in the world that are getting snow and rain when they clearly shouldnt. And Its happening constantly. I think theres something seriously wrong with the 'big environmental picture' that 'they' arnt telling us about. Its not just global warming, that is for certain. Please contribute blunders. [xx(]

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Happening To The Weather?
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2005 08:43:21 »
There was an amazing program on tv last night here in the UK which concentrated on a phenonemnon called 'Global Dimming'...it has been proven that in the last 50 years there has been drastically less sunlight reaching the earth. This has been empirically proven by  ' Pan Evaporation ' (literally thousands of people filling a pan with water to the same level every single day and noting how much evaporation has ocurred with each refill at the exact same time. Records go back 100 years !!...also, light meters that literally detect the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth. First studies were done in Israel in the 50's, then again in the 80's, and intenationally too. They showed a dramatic decrease in sunlight, by as much as 10 to 30 percent.

It seems that dust particles and soot pollution physically block the sunlight and in clouds , the particles induce more water droplets which in turn create brighter clouds which act as mirrors that reflect the sunlight back.

Furthemore, after 9/11, there was a complete ban  of air traffic for three days in the states and therefore there were no planes causing those air plumes/trails( sorry, can't remember the proper term) and during those three days the results of further tests that just in that short time, it mad a BIG difference to the point of 1 degreee celcius, which is astonishing.

It seems that this global dimming has a widespread effect on the environment, and for many years was dismissed by scientists because it goes against the grain of global warming. But do a search on ' global dimming' on google and you'll get quite a few revealing results,. The program was called Horizon ....now this may not answer directly your question above, but, it may help to answer it. I know I have not explained it fully but perhaps someone (a scientist) who also saw this program can elaborate further....in fact, I may post this as a separate thread with a link to this one.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 14/01/2005 08:56:59 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2005 08:53:31 »
...sorry, just remembered, they deduced that global dimming was responsible for the famine in 1984 in Ethiopia, as the dust particle pollution  created the circumstances that halted the rain for so many years (the why and how was far more complicated than I can pass on to you here)...I wish I could explain this better but the the program higlighted this as a definitive conseqeunce of global dimming.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2005 08:53:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums