The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why did my Windows XP computer lock me out?  (Read 20473 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Why did my Windows XP computer lock me out?
« Reply #25 on: 11/03/2009 09:34:39 »
Some relatively simple things you can do.
Try to go back to a earlier 'restore point' before this trouble started.
Read through this page http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-xp-system-restore.html
After you read it through and feel you get it, just follow the instructions. They recommend you to back up at times, but I've never had problems with using restore points.
It just worked.

Or you could try to reinstall Windows XP but keeping your files etc.
Read this first -" Windows 2000 and XP CDs "- It's in the middle of that page approximately :) at.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm
And "Press r for a repair reinstall"

But try 'restore points' first and be sure to choose a date when you didn't have this problem with your computer. The only disadvantage I've seen is that you may have to reinstall some third party software that you already have installed once as that  'restore point' will be a exact copy of how your computer looked then.

But on the other hand it could also be that third party software that F*s it up:)
If so you will notice (hopefully) what program that 'screws' it, pardon my language :)
« Last Edit: 11/03/2009 12:46:44 by yor_on »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11/03/2009 11:35:24 »
Some relatively simple things you can do.
Try to go back to a earlier 'restore point' before this trouble started.
Read through this page http://www.windows-help-central.com/windows-xp-system-restore.html
After you read it through and feel you get it, just follow the instructions. They recommend you to back up at times, but I've never had problems with using restore points.
It just worked.

Or you could try to reinstall Windows XP but keeping your files etc.
Read this first -" Windows 2000 and XP CDs "- It's in the middle of that page approximately :) at.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm
And "Press r for a repair reinstall"

But try 'restore points' first and be sure to choose a date when you didn't have this problem with your computer. The only disadvantage I've seen is that you may have to reinstall some third party software that you already have installed once as that  'restore point' will be a exact copy of how your computer looked then.

But on the other hand it could also be that third party software that F*s it up:)
If so you will notice (hopefully) what program that scews it up, pardon my language here :)

yor_on Thanks for your advice only this problem with my XP computer
"Locking" me out of my compouter started on 8 August 2008
so is it bit too far back technically speaking for a "restore point"
which I have never tried to do ever before.

And of course I'd be very worried at losing all of my files, document, photos and favourites/bookmarks also my other things as well.

Including the Anti-Virus' Firewall and the Anti-spyware software.

Although I know that I can find the "restore point" by going to the
"start menu">>>>Control Panel>>>>"Perfomance & Maintenance" then System Restore if that's the right one.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11/03/2009 12:55:53 »
Yep that's the one:)

Hold on here, did you read the link?
That's what you should do before, there you will see how to come to 'restore'.
I have a Swedish Windows so the translations is not the same.

Restore point just back your computer to that date you choose, so, if you had a period, say three weeks ago, when your computer 'just worked' then you back it to somewhere near that choosing one of the dates, and let windows restart. There should be more than one restore point if you open the program and look. The anti virus etc you should have installed as one of the first things when you got the Operative System XP (I hope:) so that shouldn't be a worry. Take a look and see, if you don't like the dates you see choose cancel/no or hit that 'x' at uppermost right corner of your open 'window', wherein that program 'rests' so to speak, to close it down. Don't worry, it won't explode. You need to tell it to start before anything can happen.
« Last Edit: 11/03/2009 13:13:03 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11/03/2009 13:01:35 »
This is the correct way to go...

Click start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

I tried to look for your variant in the control panel, but I'm not sure what that name may be in Swedish, and I dont go that way myself, but the name is correct though, so?
But use my way to be sure, please :)

--------

Ok now I see, you went into 'administrative tools' right?
Whats called 'System and Maintenance' in Windows Vista.

That was a first for me going that way to 'system restore'.
But that's what I like with Windows (intuitive), did you find it by 'playing' or did someone tip you off?
You should be careful with going that way, it's pretty 'low level' and you can do some strange things to your computer by 'playing around' and testing in 'administrative tools'.
« Last Edit: 11/03/2009 13:26:05 by yor_on »

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11/03/2009 13:39:45 »
Yep that's the one:)

Hold on here, did you read the link?
That's what you should do before, there you will see how to come to 'restore'.
I have a Swedish Windows so the translations is not the same.
Restore point just back your computer to that date you choose, so, if you had a period, say three weeks ago, when your computer 'just worked' then you back it to somewhere near that choosing one of the dates, and let windows restart. There should be more than one restore point if you open the program and look. The anti virus etc you should have installed as one of the first things when you got the Operative System XP (I hope:) so that shouldn't be a worry. Take a look and see, if you don't like the dates you see choose cancel/no or hit that 'x' at uppermost right corner of your open 'window', wherein that program 'rests' so to speak, to close it down. Don't worry, it won't explode. You need to tell it to start before anything can happen.

Yes I did read the links twice and one thing that concerned me is that the first one, is not to do with Microsoft's Windows site and I've got a Windows XP PC that I got in June 07.
No yor_on I didn't think that my PC would explode, well I hope not. But I have got a lot of data regarding my genelogical researches over the past year and I do not wish to lose them.

This is the correct way to go...

Click start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

I tried to look for your variant in the control panel, but I'm not sure what that name may be in Swedish, and I dont go that way myself, but the name is correct though, so?
But use my way to be sure, please :)

--------

Ok now I see, you went into 'administrative tools' right?
Whats called 'System and Maintenance' in Windows Vista.

That was a first for me going that way to 'system restore'.
But that's what I like with Windows (intuitive), did you find it by 'playing' or did someone tip you off?
You should be careful with going that way, it's pretty 'low level' and you can do some strange things to your computer by 'playing around' and testing in 'administrative tools'.

I was told on this thread by UKMicky what to do also because I'm someone with a curious nature, who likes to try to sort things out for herself and that's what I always do before I ask for help.
Also I am very careful when it comes to anything technical regarding my PC really.
I will try to sort out the Swedish - English via Google's translation service if I can later.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11/03/2009 14:05:07 »
That is in fact the best way to learn, to play around :)
As long as you remember to never 'click' on anything with an 'ok' on it, or similar.
Well, not before you're sure what that 'ok' will do that is::))

As for it being a 'proper' Windows help page, if you're doubtful.
Well, it is :) Even if it's not on a Microsoft server. I won't say 'trust me on this'
Take a look here 'http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084' And compare.

What you will find after playing around is that sometimes the advice/solution won't be found there, even though it probably exist 'somewhere' on one of those pages. Sometimes though that will be the only place you will find a solution, ah well.

There is no need to translate into Swedish Rosalind, it will only drive you mad :)
If you have a DVD R/W player you can back your research up before doing this, although the 'restore' in XP haven't destroyed my file system yet so I shouldn't worry to much about that. But burn a CD/DVD and test that your windows can read it back before to be sure. that function is 'built in' in XP, but it's best to have a third part burning program for it. Good luck Rosalind.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11/03/2009 17:36:10 »
That is in fact the best way to learn, to play around :)
As long as you remember to never 'click' on anything with an 'ok' on it, or similar.
Well, not before you're sure what that 'ok' will do that is::))

As for it being a 'proper' Windows help page, if you're doubtful.
Well, it is :) Even if it's not on a Microsoft server. I won't say 'trust me on this'
Take a look here 'http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084' And compare.

What you will find after playing around is that sometimes the advice/solution won't be found there, even though it probably exist 'somewhere' on one of those pages. Sometimes though that will be the only place you will find a solution, ah well.

There is no need to translate into Swedish Rosalind, it will only drive you mad :)
If you have a DVD R/W player you can back your research up before doing this, although the 'restore' in XP haven't destroyed my file system yet so I shouldn't worry to much about that. But burn a CD/DVD and test that your windows can read it back before to be sure. that function is 'built in' in XP, but it's best to have a third part burning program for it. Good luck Rosalind.

yor_on thanks for your advice I will try out some of this System Restore advice after I've given it some thought though, that's cautious me speaking.

I never click on anything saying "ok" unless I have cause to do so or am resetting something.
Otherwise I either click on "cancel" or on "X" to close whatever,

Alright I won't translate this into Swedish as yes it might take too long,

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 11/03/2009 17:36:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums