The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is There An Actual Benefit To the Releasing Of Tears ?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Tearologists,

How are ewe ?....I hope this post finds ewe well and rested !
I'm Ok...Gosh !..lets do this again...how about next Tuesday ?
I do love these little get-togethers !

See Cecilia here ?

Awwww...she's upset !...she's found out that the plastic bag of my breath that I sent her will be delayed by a couple of minutes !...Lets all comfort her and then educate her with the answer to these two tear orientated questions.

1: Is Cecilia actually benefiting from releasing tears from her eyes ? People can cry without tears so is it a matter of the nature of the emotional content that which then leads to a physiological necessity to shed tears ?

2: Are the tears that Cecilia cries when she's upset, the same as the tears she sheds when she is chopping onions ?

Let me know will ewe ?....Cecilia needs cheering up !

Thanks

hugs and shmishes to ewe all !

Neil
Tear Jerker !

mwah mwah xxxxxxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Is There An Actual Benefit To the Releasing Of Tears ?
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2008 18:36:44 »
Nice question.. I believe they may be the same as I think but am not sure, that your body produces the tears first and stores them in the tear ducts, then emotions onions etc.. are the stimulant that helps release them.

Now on the other hand     i have been known to cry for hours with no breaks during depression, which makes me wonder if your body could actually store enough tears in the ducts to accommodate a 4 or 5 hour stint of crying.So Emotions may actually cause a chemical response that produces tears so
i would deduct that those tears may be host to more hormone stimulating goodness then an onion teardrop! My opinion...is not that of a scientist.. but I am sorry to say I am an experienced emotional tear producer!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2008 19:07:25 »
Thank Ewe Kareny Mam, especially for your insight into your personal tear production !

I too was wondering if there was a hormonal/bio-chemical thingy happening here and this is why I thought the strength of the emotion might be involved and this then lead me to query about the different types of tear. One is produced emotionally, the other is produced as a reaction to an agitation.

I appreciate your answer.

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/08/2008 01:24:23 »
There have been studies done on tears and the chemical makeup of tears according to the reason they are shed *is* different. That is 'pain' tears are chemically different to 'joy' tears.

The *known* benefits of tears depends on the reason Cecilia is crying. If she is producing tears because of an irritation, then the extra fluids can help wash out the foreign object. If it's because you poked her in the eye, then it's probably to aid the immune response   AFAIK 'they' still do not understand why emotional tears are different chemically.. possibly (and this is pure speculation) due to hormones released during times of stress.

As for the poor unfortunate people who cannot shed tears, when they 'cry' their eyes go red and dry and itchy.. which leads me to speculate wildly that emotional responses temporarily inhibits moisture production (for whatever reason)and the body overcompensates by producing an excess of tears.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/08/2008 08:23:07 »
Thats interesting JnA.. very cool..

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/08/2008 15:10:28 »
There have been studies done on tears and the chemical makeup of tears according to the reason they are shed *is* different. That is 'pain' tears are chemically different to 'joy' tears.

The *known* benefits of tears depends on the reason Cecilia is crying. If she is producing tears because of an irritation, then the extra fluids can help wash out the foreign object. If it's because you poked her in the eye, then it's probably to aid the immune response   AFAIK 'they' still do not understand why emotional tears are different chemically.. possibly (and this is pure speculation) due to hormones released during times of stress.

As for the poor unfortunate people who cannot shed tears, when they 'cry' their eyes go red and dry and itchy.. which leads me to speculate wildly that emotional responses temporarily inhibits moisture production (for whatever reason)and the body overcompensates by producing an excess of tears.

Awesome Info.......thank ewe JnA....i'm choking here for this fab info.

Thank ewe very much !!

Tears of gratitude

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2008 15:14:25 »
Thank Ewe Kareny Mam, especially for your insight into your personal tear production !

I too was wondering if there was a hormonal/bio-chemical thingy happening here and this is why I thought the strength of the emotion might be involved and this then lead me to query about the different types of tear. One is produced emotionally, the other is produced as a reaction to an agitation.

I appreciate your answer.

Your welcome. Ssounds like we were close.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 25/08/2008 15:14:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums