The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you believe that UFOs are real?  (Read 9561 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Do you believe that UFOs are real?
« Reply #25 on: 29/08/2008 17:44:24 »
Physicists have teleported a few subatomic particles across their lab.

A conservative estimate is that using an 8 meg broadband connection, transmitting an entire human body would take about 40,000 billion years.

I'll not wait up then.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29/08/2008 19:03:31 »
Physicists have teleported a few subatomic particles across their lab.

A conservative estimate is that using an 8 meg broadband connection, transmitting an entire human body would take about 40,000 billion years.

I'll not wait up then.

LOL LOL LOL

paul.fr

« Reply #27 on: 30/08/2008 12:26:41 »
However A friend and I once saw a cloud like object that did not move in relation to the other clouds. It was green in colour fringed with red and very very beautiful ,so beautiful my froend began to weep.

Reading that made me weep.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #28 on: 30/08/2008 13:58:29 »
My whole family noticed one last night night at around about 10:30 pm . It was quite strange and reminded me of an egg.

My Daughter tried to say it was produced by me ,however as it was a silent one and we couldn't determine from where it came,we decided to officially log it as a UFO. A unidentified Fart Odour 
« Last Edit: 30/08/2008 14:41:23 by ukmicky »

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02/09/2008 17:14:08 »
Guys I said it was a greenish cloud like object, decidedly not a helicopter or aeroplane

But I also stated that it was an object of some sort, I did not say UFO or spaceship

Offline Will

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04/09/2008 00:18:29 »
The way you ask the question gives away your position. You chose the word believe. This implies that you have no data. If you had data, you should be able to produce the evidence and others should be able to verify your results or come to the same conclusions. In this case, the answer is obvious.

Regarding the larger questions:
1. Is it possible that life exists elsewhere in the universe? I would suggest that given the enormous number of stars and planets the probability is quite high. Thus, my answer is based solely on a statistical argument.
2. Is it possible that earth has been visited (within the past few thousand years) by beings from another world? I would again, refer to the observational data (the vast distances between the stars and our current understanding of the laws of the universe). Based on this data, I would suggest that the probability is extremely low.

I would discourage anyone from using the word "believe" or similar term to express a conclusion or to put forth a scientific argument. The term is founded in philosophy and carries personal biases into the discussion. Thus, any conclusions based on "belief" are subject to scrutiny.

lyner

« Reply #31 on: 04/09/2008 12:31:09 »
I agree. The only time you would be justified in making a subjective choice is when neither of the two alternatives has a really clinching argument or data. (Or if you really fancy one of the protagonists)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 04/09/2008 12:31:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length