The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gravity Problem Solved  (Read 48186 times)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #100 on: 22/09/2008 20:09:08 »
OK CSC, here are the numbers.
For two balls of steel (stop giggling at the back) each with a mass of 1 Kg and separated by a distance (between their centres) of 10 cm, the force is 6.67X10^-11 Newtons.

Now do what you said you would, or shut up.

Offline lindsaylee22

• First timers
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #101 on: 23/09/2008 05:20:15 »
I repeat the crucial question:

WHY IS THE MOON MOVING AWAY FROM THE EARTH??

To answer this question one must understand what happened to create the moon/effect that it has on this planet.. you might look into the history of the moon and of earth as celestial bodies.  There has been talk relating the ancient stories of greek goddess Thea, the mother of the moon with the creation of our only satelite, along with giving the earth the tilt that allows for seasons and the properties that are vital in creating and sustaining life. 

Offline common_sense_seeker

• View Profile
    • Believers In Gravity Shielding (BiGS)
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #102 on: 23/09/2008 10:23:47 »
OK CSC, here are the numbers.

I was thinking more of the surface gravity of a steel ball. If this could be determined in the lab and given a specific value for a given size then this should be able to be scaled up to the size of the Earth to give 9.8m/s/s. I'm dubious to whether this could be achieved. Also the experiment should ideally be done away from any other possible influences i.e. in space, on a big a steel ball as possible. I also noted from the Wikipedia entry that the Cavendish experiment and results don't appear quite as clear cut as you may like to think.

Trying to convince people that there is a fundamental problem with gravity is never going to be easy. My main piece of evidence is the mammoth data provided by Charles Hapgood. If you could do me the honour of looking at Sciforums.com in the Astronomy section, 'Did Giant Comet Help Hobbits Reach Flores' to see a lively considered debate over this fascinating subject of a Core-Centered Theory of Gravity, then I will look further into the Cavendish experiment and the concept of big G.

Try and be a little open-minded about my claims for just a bit longer.
« Last Edit: 23/09/2008 10:42:13 by common_sense_seeker »

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #103 on: 23/09/2008 10:50:30 »
On sciforums.com someone has responded that the Sun's gravitational influence has been measured to be 0.1 grains (force) greater on a 150lb person at noon rather than at midnight. It is just that it is such a small amount that we can't notice it.

My reply is that why is the Sun's gravitational influence on 150lb of seawater so many more orders of magnitude greater than this? We can see the effect of the rise of the seawater by the Sun with our eyes.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #104 on: 23/09/2008 14:16:04 »
I've just thought of the answer. The Earth's surface gravity of 9.8m/s/s is only for baryonic (or everyday) matter. For dark matter it is much greater. I am proposing that dark matter (DM) exists at the center of the Earth, the Moon and the stars. Therefore all the calculations of their weight using the Cavindish value of G, the universal constant of newtonian gravitation are underestimates. This is therefore a solution for the Missing Mass problem as well! It all fits.
« Last Edit: 23/09/2008 14:17:41 by common_sense_seeker »

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #105 on: 23/09/2008 14:53:10 »
Why are you wasting your time and everyone else's by bringing in all these red herrings to explain an effect which isn't there in the first place? Are you just an attention seeker?
You really need to establish some bona fide by showing us some calculations and figures. Quoting 'some bloke' is not likely to convince anyone.
I suggest that, in fact, you don't know enough of basic Physics to come to a conclusion one way or another.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #106 on: 23/09/2008 15:56:25 »
I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it is my life's work in one respect. I instinctively knew that someone in the history of science had made a mistake from a relatively early age. It's just something that's happened. It makes perfect sense to me. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #107 on: 23/09/2008 18:12:46 »
And you can't prove everything every time. But just a bit of it might earn some sympathy.
Instinct is a really poor criterion for judging Scientific Theories.
Wasn't it 'obvious to everyone' that things 'just fall down'?
« Last Edit: 23/09/2008 19:14:31 by sophiecentaur »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #108 on: 23/09/2008 19:27:40 »
I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it is my life's work in one respect. I instinctively knew that someone in the history of science had made a mistake from a relatively early age. It's just something that's happened. It makes perfect sense to me. You can't please all of the people all of the time.
Then get a better life.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #109 on: 24/09/2008 13:13:20 »
Dear BC and sophiecentaur, I've answered your criticisms with a good explanation. I don't expect you to acknowledge that of course.

A couple of references to justify my theory of a temporary land bridge between the American continent and Australasia due to a giant comet near-miss pulling on the Earth's inner core of dark matter around 40,000 B.P are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Siberian_American_Aborigines

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/430944.stm

http://www.centerfirstamericans.org/research.php

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #110 on: 24/09/2008 14:25:31 »
I've answered your criticisms with a good explanation.
Really? I can't recall seeing anything which could be classified as an explanation. Where are your model, your maths and your data?
I shan't bother reading links until you actually commit yourself to something more substantial than mere assurances.

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #111 on: 24/09/2008 14:35:09 »
I did read them and found they merely pose the question about how certain primitive peoples moved around the Earth.
There is even a perfectly reasonable suggestion that they traveled by BOAT. Well, there's a novel idea - much more attractive than massive distortion of the Earth's crust. After all, we've seen lots of boats and never seen the Lithosphere pounding up and down by more than a few cm for a few minutes (and that constitutes a very violent Quake).

I thought the main point of this thread (indeed, the TITLE) is about a 'new theory of gravity'.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #112 on: 24/09/2008 19:09:25 »
Talking about the title, I'm still waiting to hear what evidence there is that shows that there is a problem with gravity. OK there's the "pioneer anomaly" but that's a tiny effect, It's hard to be certain that it's even real.

Before you solve a problem you have to identify it; so go on CSC- tell us what you think the problem is.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #113 on: 25/09/2008 10:12:21 »
BC, see the BBC TV webpage devoted to Brain Cox's programme "What On Earth Is Wrong With Gravity?". He's the expert, and he says there is a problem.

sophie, there is no evidence of boat building expertise anything like this far back. It goes against all known scientific trends for this ability.

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #114 on: 25/09/2008 18:46:46 »
Is it likely that any evidence would remain of 'boats', used at that time? They would be more like rafts, in any case and would be much less likely to survive than other signs of civilisation.
And whilst we are talking about 'going against all known scientific trends'??????

Brian Cox's idea of 'something wrong with gravity represents a very low level of modification of present ideas. Relevant, of course and could well be true but it would not propose that the existing model is 'totally wrong'. I think he is in a better position to explain it than css, who seems to be more intent in proving the present system to be wrong than making an incremental step in the right direction.

Would Brian Cox go along with the Land Bridge idea, do you think?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #115 on: 25/09/2008 20:52:45 »
CSC
The presense of people in places that they could only have reached by boat is evidence that they had boats.
Dr Cox' TV show talks about tiny changes to "gravity as we know it" ; things like the pioneer anomaly.
Did you not notice that I already accepted those?
Now please tell us what evidence you have for there being a problem with gravity.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #116 on: 26/09/2008 11:05:10 »
BC and sophie, see "Does Earth/Moon Model Show Cavendish Is Wrong?" in the Physics section.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #117 on: 27/09/2008 10:51:27 »
I'm currently working through the maths for my alternative idea of gravity. Dark Matter At The Center Of The Earth Theory. It would also be a solution of the Missing Mass Problem of cosmology.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #118 on: 27/09/2008 15:29:14 »
Starting another thread doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to answer the question.
What's the evidence of a problem with gravity (in particular an problem thst your fanfifull notions solve).?

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #119 on: 30/09/2008 10:32:52 »
BC, it requires lateral thinking. If you're so negative you won't begin to understand what I'm on about. The main reason for thinking there's a problem with gravity is that a Theory Of Everything hasn't been achieved. This is despite the billions of cash poured into the search, the hundreds of thousands of science experts, and the ludicrously large amount of computing power and technology at humanity's disposal. Still everyone is confused. Also a lack of a mechanism for gravity is a tell-tell sign of ignorance.

What about the Earth's lower equitorial gravity? This is counter-intuitive, there's more mass due to the bulge! Yet another clue to Newton's law of gravitation being simply too basic, and that it is only applies to objects near the Sun's ecliptic plane which are baryonic in structure.
« Last Edit: 30/09/2008 10:36:31 by common_sense_seeker »

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #120 on: 30/09/2008 14:52:34 »
What about the Earth's lower equitorial gravity?
Did you know the Earth rotates? Are you aware of the forces involved with circular motion?
If you are going to replace conventional Science with some stuff of your own, the least you could do is to learn about the official stuff. The measured difference in weight at different points on Earth is perfectly explained by Newton's laws of Gravity and Motion. Try the sums - they work!
Are there any sums to support you theory?

lyner

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #121 on: 30/09/2008 14:55:26 »
I notice that you say BC doesn't understand what you are talkikng about.
Do you understand? You certainly don't appear to.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #122 on: 30/09/2008 19:11:36 »
Css, before you try lateral thinking, try the ordinary version.
Spending cash doesn't produce a theory- there is a deffinition that says a mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. Perhaps we need better coffee in physics departments.
One thing that we have a plentiful supply of is speculative nonsense like yours.

As for your comment the "Still everyone is confused.", speak for yourself.

• View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #123 on: 01/10/2008 13:33:12 »
The lack of a coeherent Theory of Everything is proof enough that my theory should be given a chance. The reply by Professor Murty of the University Of Ottawa said just as much. Ii will never happen with you two, I know. I've not that put out by the situation. The maths proof is coming along just fine. I plan to publish a professional paper in the Nexus, if I have to.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #124 on: 01/10/2008 19:51:29 »
"The lack of a coeherent Theory of Everything is proof enough that my theory should be given a chance. "
Bollocks.
Since your theory is demonstrably wrong (in predicting where the high tidees are for example) it doesn't deserve anything more than to be laughed at.
Also, since you don't even understand the current theroty at school level it's not realistic to think that you will improve it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Gravity Problem Solved
« Reply #124 on: 01/10/2008 19:51:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums