The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Virtual Particles & The Big Bang  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
Virtual Particles & The Big Bang
« on: 19/01/2005 20:16:14 »
Is there a possibility for a particle to pop into existence without its anti-particle twin?   If that is possible and we treat time as the mirror image of gravity, where the gravitational field strength very near the center of a Black Hole approaches infinity, time, the rate at which events occur, approaches zero.  If we look the other way, out to the very edge of the universe, the gravitational field strength would approach zero and time may approach infinity. Using this idea, if a particle did pop into existence at the beginning and time running close to infinity it would look just like the Big Bang.  This idea might explain the inflationary period of the Big Bang.  Somebody knock this idea down so I can dump it out of my head.

Ron

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
Re: Virtual Particles & The Big Bang
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2005 03:58:18 »
Are you talking about a real particle or a virtual particle? For a particle to become real, it must have its anti-particle to conserve charge. Virtual, I don't know for sure, but I suspect no anti-particle is necessary.

However, Andre Lindt has postulated the existence of a "multi-verse", where other universes are formed. This is part of inflationary theory, so that may be why it is in your head.

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2005 04:58:06 »
gsmollin, couldn't a proton with it's electron pop into exitence without their anti-particle twins. Say one in a billion. We would never notice it because it would appear just the same as all the other protons and electrons in the Universe. I guess what I'm trying to do is to explain how the Big Bang happened in the first place. How do you get the primordal singulariety to explode from a place that has infinite gravity. Science says that a Quantum event occured. We don't understand what that event was, but Q.E.D. anyway. One other thing, matter creats it's own space. If there were no matter, there would be no space. If what I'm saying could be true then we well find baby galaxies between one to four billion years old forming somewhere between the old galaxies

Ron

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/01/2005 11:46:33 »
Please forgive my obvious ignorance here but I've heard that in the early days of the Universe (say 6 am !!)..there had to be slightly more of one particle than the other for there to be an accumulation which turned into stars and planets etc....

I've missed the point here haven't I ?

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Ron Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/01/2005 18:18:16 »
   Neilep, I am by no means an expert at anything, with that in mind I will try to explain.
You are correct, there had to be more particles than anti-particles. If we roll back time to just before the beginning and we have this proton electron that I referred to pop into existence along with the space that this matter would create, then in that space there would appear a lot of particle anti-particle pairs that would annihilate each other leaving the proton electron alone. Now remember that we have time running infinitely fast so that this process would repeat itself infinitely fast making the universe appear to have exploded into existence. Very early in this process it would look like the universe was expanding faster than the speed of light.

Ron

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/01/2005 21:05:22 »
Thanks Ron. I'm always amazed and astounded with the Universe and the incredible facts and figures that it gives us.

I appreciate your explaining it to me. I was just wondering though, surely it's not possible to roll back time to before the beginning as I gather this would constitute that time would have had to exist before.

As I understand it, there was no time before, it was created at the ' time ' of the creation/big bang.

It's probably my inability to understand !!..I so wish I'd spent more time with Physics as a child.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/01/2005 03:08:40 »
Don't feel bad neilp, the "new cosmology" is much younger than you and I.

Ron Hughes, a proton is a complicated thing to pop into existence. It consists of two up quarks and one down quark. So you would have to create the quarks first, conserving charge, then combine them to form a proton.

Early in the universe's pre-history, less than 10e-37 seconds, the visible universe was almost all photons. But I don't think the universe started with a photon, because that doesn't explain where the dark matter came from.

You see, we can't very well explain the origins when we can't explain what 95% of the universe, by mass, is today! With that understanding, we may be able to talk sense about the origins.

My personal pet theory is that there is a fundamental particle we have not (yet) described. It had the capacity to "morph" into other particles as its energy changed. Starting with a huge energy, it became all of what we see, and also all of what we don't see in the universe today. Its changing energy also created the spacetime to hold it. Some of this is being grappled by string theory, and (space)time will tell if theorists are getting closer to the truth.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 21/01/2005 03:08:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length