The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are netbooks any good  (Read 13613 times)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« on: 02/09/2008 23:09:16 »
I'm thinking of getting a netbook to take my presentations around the schools. It will need to link up with a projector and work well with my powerpoint presentations including lots of lovely photos. I've looked at the slightly up market Advent 4211. Portability and battery life are an issue as my colleague rides a bike and will put it in her backpack when she is presenting. Come on you geeks....speak!

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2008 18:40:41 »
It might be a bit underpowered if your presentations use lots of animations and effects.  You'd need to check that it has the right outputs for the projectors too.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2008 19:18:45 »
Why not burn your presentation onto a DVD using your desktop PC.
Then all you need is a DVD player connected to the projector.
A DVD player is 1/10th the price of a laptop or notebook.

[I still don't think a projector bulb will survive long being transported by bike] 
« Last Edit: 03/09/2008 21:07:34 by RD »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #3 on: 03/09/2008 21:09:22 »

[I still don't think a projector bulb will not survive long being transported by bike] 

How would you click though the slides without a computer and thanks for the bike insight, I don't know much about projectors either. Any recommendations on a good low end one?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #4 on: 03/09/2008 22:30:57 »

[I still don't think a projector bulb will survive long being transported by bike] 

How would you click though the slides without a computer and thanks for the bike insight, I don't know much about projectors either. Any recommendations on a good low end one?

Once the slide show sequence has been perfected and burned to DVD the order is fixed, so I can see little point of viewing the slideshow just prior to the presentation: you can't edit it at that stage.

If you must review the images just before the presentation you could see the images via the projector.

[You should ensure the DVD player and projector are both be capable of 1080 HD resolution to accurately reproduce what you see on your computer monitor].
« Last Edit: 03/09/2008 22:58:34 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #5 on: 03/09/2008 22:40:17 »
November 29, 2006

Fifteen Tips for Selecting a Portable Digital Projector

There are a number of important things to look for in a portable digital projector for meetings on the go.
 Your specification shopping list should include factors such as:

1. Light Weight – anything over 6 lb is not really portable
2. Small Form Factor – smaller dimension projectors are easier to pack and carry
3. Set-up Speed – look for a projector with some quick application select modes which match the type of presentation material and projection scenarios which are likely
4. Screen Distance Flexibility – flexibility to cope with varying distances from the screen – short throw and zoom lens provide flexibility
5. Horizontal and Vertical Lens Shift or Keystone Correction – to correct keystoning of the projected image when the projection screen is either not at the same height as the projector and/or horizontally in line / skewed - lens shift is preferred as there is no possibility of introducing artifacts from digital keystone correction
6. Good Brightness – look for over 2,000 ANSI lumens to cope with less than perfect projection situations with plenty of ambient light (eg. training rooms), 1,500 ANSI – 2,000 ANSI lumens projectors can handle some ambient light.
7. High Contrast Ratio – something of the order of 2,000 or over will produce excellent results
8. Low Noise Level - you don’t want your voice to be competing with projector noise – a noise level in the 20 – 30 dB (whisper quiet) should be achievable
9. Rugged Design - to protect the projector from dust and tolerate knocks during transport - look for shutters, caps and lack of protruding controls
10. Quick Shut Down (cooling cycle) - so that you can move on without delay if necessary
11. Simple Remote Control – easy to use with large buttons - backlit if possible
12. Locking System – makes your valuable, portable projector less attractive for misuse or theft - password login keypads are a common solution
13. Personalized Start-up Image – display your company logo for a professional touch
14. No PC Required Presentations - facility to load your presentation without a PC using a USB interface or similar.
15. Protective Carry Bag – a bag which offers some protection while leaving room to store the power cord, cables etc.
http://www.presentationtek.com/2006/11/29/fifteen-tips-for-selecting-a-portable-digital-projector/

So apparently some projectors will run a slideshow from a USB memory stick or portable hard-drive, no PC, or DVD player required.
« Last Edit: 03/09/2008 22:51:18 by RD »

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #6 on: 04/09/2008 04:36:05 »
I must be a geek cos I bought an Advent 4211 a few weeks ago and cant put it down, in fact I'm in bed now using it to type this!

As far as netbook go this one is good as it has an 80gb hard drive and comes with 1gb memory, an atom 1.6ghz cpu that shows up as 2 cores and I have just added another 1gb of memory that cost me £15. It has a decent size keyboard and a 10" backlit screen that runs at 1024x600. It runs windows xp although I have now dual booted it with Linux Xubuntu.

I looked at some of the other netbooks (asus) but they have a smaller screen 7" which means some sideways scrolling and some programs will not display properly plus a smaller keyboard. Most netbooks have a flash drive which means no windows os will fit so they come with Linux installed. The Advent has a webcam, bluetooth, a monitor port, 3 usb ports, Ethernet port, 4 in 1 card reader and wifi built in. The graffix has 64mb shared memory and is very capable.

The down side is that the battery that comes with it has 3 cells which only lasts a few hours but a 6 cell will be available soon and I dont like the touchpad so I bought a mini usb mouse.

It fits in a backpack nicely and thats what I've been using to transport it to the Hospital for the baby photos, the card reader is handy as it makes transferring photos from the camera easy and I bought a nice sleeve/cover for it as well.

So far I'm very happy with it and am using it more than the main PC.  ;D

Forgot to mention, no cdrom drive!
« Last Edit: 04/09/2008 06:01:09 by that mad man »

paul.fr

Are netbooks any good
« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2008 00:23:22 »
Have you been shopping at toysrus again, Bee?

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #8 on: 05/09/2008 03:15:21 »
Have you been shopping at toysrus again, Bee?

Shush..  ;D

It's for me grandson, honest guv! Oh yeah, bought a camcorder too and a digital photo frame is next.

Cough, expensive business this grandchildren malarky! ;)

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #9 on: 06/09/2008 20:45:38 »
Thanks all for the help. I have also seen a similar netbook fron Aldi the Medion E something or other. It has no blue tooth but comes with a three year warranty. I don't know which to get now as they are both very good buys.

paul.fr

Are netbooks any good
« Reply #10 on: 07/09/2008 17:17:34 »
I do believe you can get a free netbook if you take out a contract on a mobile phone at one of the major outlets.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #11 on: 07/09/2008 18:19:28 »
Paul's right you can get one free from a certain mobile phone company if you sign up to a restrictive and capped mobile package.

As I don't have, want or plan to get a mobile that's not for me and anyway I get my broadband and phone calls after 6pm free.   

The Aldi/Sainsbury's Medion is a repackaged Advent which is a repackaged Wind but there are a few differences. The Medion's wifi is an 802.11 N draft and the Advent an 802.11B/G draft so the Medion's wifi is capable of twice the bandwidth providing the source router broadcasts on 802.11N. If the Medion has a 6 cell battery pack then that would be worth the extra cost for twice the battery life. It does not mention bluetooth but buying a separate bluetooth usb dongle cost a tenner or less. The 3 year warranty is also much better as the Advent has just the one year.

To be honest buying it at Sainsbury's or Aldi will probably give a better service and returns policy than PC World as they are crap!

If you do get one then is worth paying £10 or so for a notebook cover to keep it protected while transporting it.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Are netbooks any good
« Reply #12 on: 07/09/2008 22:03:25 »
I have bought the medion today. I am using it right now. I will report back on my adventures with it. I may buy a second one as myself and my boss travel around quite a bit and often to different schools on the same day. We will play with this first to see if we like it.
It has a limited software package too which is a coral type word perfect based thing. It seems ok but we will see.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Are netbooks any good
« Reply #12 on: 07/09/2008 22:03:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums