The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there any mathematical proof of the existence of God?  (Read 40862 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any mathematical proof of the existence of God?
« Reply #50 on: 04/02/2009 15:59:48 »
I don't know if there are a God.

But I knew that some of the best, warmest and trustworthy people I've had the pleasure to know had had a very personal belief in God.

I also know that some of the worst people have asserted the same belief.
But 'time' will tell, as Bob Marley once wrote:)

That, as most other important questions in our life, are mostly 'ethical' after all.
Why should we care for whatever conditions 'food' animals have before we butcher them.
They're just food, right:)

And why not eat all meat, humans included?
Meat is meat, right?

And why care for someone you don't know?
Do they?

Care about you.

But if you take those 'responsibilities' away from us, as I see it, we will be 'lower' than any other animal we ever will meet.
Most of what we do to each other is grounded in 'beliefs' not in 'facts'.
That's what makes us grow, and at times, 'shrink' horribly.

To be a human human is not easy:)

Offline demadone

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04/02/2009 16:05:39 »
Adam and Eve weren't married and they had 2 sons.
Weird. Try to read the bible again.

Conscience came about as a result of rules.
My point exactly. The universe is made on rules. And you can't deny that. Rules that have been set.

The problem I have with religious people is the constant "It has to be this" or "There is no other way". The thing is it doesn't have to be this and there are other ways; ways that have been scientifically proven. But you refuse to accept that fact. Biblical words are re-interpreted in the light of scientific advances and the religious fraternity say that proves God exists. No, it doesn't. It just proves that the original wording was ambiguous and can mean many different things - or nothing at all.

Yet again a generalization. Not all religions stick to the old belief. Some do admit that they misinterpreted the bible. I don't argue the big bang for example or stick to the belief that everything was made in 7 days. The guys who try to argue with these are the ones that taint religion (another work of the devil).

Social evolution would not result into such love, kindness and morality. People don't have those tenancies naturally.

Science and religion (true) are very compatible and mutual. Science helps us to understand God better. Religion fills in the blanks where science can't go like death, life, the beginning and human nature. or even magic.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #52 on: 04/02/2009 16:12:10 »
Quote from: yor_on
To be a human human is not easy:)
Hi yor_on; I have concluded that you are one. :) If not more.

Brotherly love is a human trait I suspect. I doubt that deities are the inspiration for it.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 04/02/2009 16:23:08 »
So are you Vern :)
Most of us are i believe.

Sometimes we don't know it ourself:)
We just need to be tested.
And we all will get 'tested' at times.

So maybe there is a human 'arrow' too?
Getting us closer to 'humanity'.

When I was in Goa I meet this Indian guy who gave me a new angle to the problem.
He separated between what he called humans, and 'real humans'.
Sounds stupid perhaps, but there and then, it was quite a revelation for me.

As it made sense, we are all humans, but it takes something more to become a 'real human'.
Will or a need or something, but there is a difference, I think?

Offline demadone

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 04/02/2009 16:26:26 »
Wow ! I did not even know that magic is real. Shows how much I know

I live in Africa. Trust me, it is real. Not only the bunny out of hat type but sometimes really weird. You don't see it everyday and with the world's advancements it is getting less and less. But their are undeniable instances.

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 04/02/2009 16:33:06 »
First or 'second hand' instances demadone?

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #56 on: 04/02/2009 16:52:12 »
Quote from: demadone
I live in Africa. Trust me, it is real. Not only the bunny out of hat type but sometimes really weird. You don't see it everyday and with the world's advancements it is getting less and less. But their are undeniable instances.

That reminds me of the time when I was standing out in an open field, when suddenly, quick as a flash, the sky clouded over and a great rumbling happened. A beautiful man figure appeared, young and strong looking just floating there before me. His voice was so strong and compelling that one immediately knew they must obey.

He said, "Design me a universe, engineer, and don't make it complicated. It shall consist of nothing save empty space and my electric and magnetic phenomena."

"Yes Sir," I said, dropping to my knees.

Then He was gone. I designed that universe. Then God moved all existing humanity into it, and here we are now.

Now; was that real? Or is there some experiment that anyone can devise that will show that I was just dreaming, and we can not possibly be in that universe that I designed for the Almighty?

« Last Edit: 04/02/2009 21:13:09 by Vern »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #57 on: 04/02/2009 17:01:11 »

I BELIEVE OH GREAT ONE, I shall go forth and tell all mankind

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #58 on: 04/02/2009 20:03:21 »
 ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 04/02/2009 21:14:37 by Vern »

lyner

« Reply #59 on: 04/02/2009 21:21:46 »
My point exactly. The universe is made on rules. And you can't deny that. Rules that have been set.
Demadone.
What do you mean by "set"? Just because things behave consistently doesn't have to imply that 'someone' designed it that way. Your's is only one possible interpretation of the situation.  It's many years since Scientists treated Laws of Science as Laws of God.

Religion fills in the blanks where science can't go like death, life, the beginning and human nature. or even magic.
Precisely. If you find it too hard to understand, then put it down to God. A little while ago, God was used to explain many more unknowns.

lyner

« Reply #60 on: 04/02/2009 23:26:52 »
Why do so many Atheists make a religion out of their Atheism?
What makes them so twitchy about a God?
I think it's because of what has been called the 'God Gene'. Whether rational or irrational, we have all evolved with a need for a Jimminy Cricket to regulate our behaviour. Atheists also have a Jimminy Cricket but it gives us an internal conflict; you have to acknowledge the need to 'be good' but can't allow yourself to be told, on religious grounds, how to behave. It needs a lot of intellectual effort to be a true non-religious atheist.
So no atheist should be surprised that there a people who believe in a God; it's by far the easiest way to be.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2009 23:29:37 by sophiecentaur »

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #61 on: 05/02/2009 00:53:31 »
I don't know why some folks do that; I don't do that. When I am in church, I try my best to look just like all the other happy true believers. I don't advocate either way.

About the only time I will be there is at funerals and weddings :)

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #62 on: 05/02/2009 01:55:22 »
Why do so many Atheists make a religion out of their Atheism?
I think it's because of what has been called the 'God Gene'. Whether rational or irrational, we have all evolved with a need for a Jimminy Cricket to regulate our behaviour. Atheists also have a Jimminy Cricket but it gives us an internal conflict; you have to acknowledge the need to 'be good' but can't allow yourself to be told, on religious grounds, how to behave. It needs a lot of intellectual effort to be a true non-religious atheist.
So no atheist should be surprised that there a people who believe in a God; it's by far the easiest way to be.
I'm not sure what you mean by that post.
Are you suggesting that people need religion to be good? That is certainly untrue.

If you are also asking why atheists becme irritated by religious nonsense, I can tell you that in my case it's because it's nonsense, which has the potential to corrupt minds, by blinding them to reason, enforcing ignorance, and in the worst cases, promoting evil deeds in the guise of god's will. 

Offline justaskin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 05/02/2009 02:06:44 »
So three pages on.What was that mathematical proof again.I don't think it was actually stated was it.
Maybe X+Y=GOD

Cheers
justaskin

lyner

« Reply #64 on: 05/02/2009 08:50:09 »
Stephan
I am saying that we all have strong, built-in, mechanisms which regulate behaviour. How do people explain / rationalize the results of it? They attribute it to an outside agency: God.
It seems to me to be a fair enough interpretation if they don't / can't think it through.
Why get so hot under the collar about it?
I can't be too surprised that they hang on to it like a drowning man.

Offline _Stefan_

• View Profile
    • My Photobucket Album
« Reply #65 on: 05/02/2009 08:54:45 »
Stephan
I am saying that we all have strong, built-in, mechanisms which regulate behaviour. How do people explain / rationalize the results of it? They attribute it to an outside agency: God.
It seems to me to be a fair enough interpretation if they don't / can't think it through.
That I can agree with. It would be nice if they did think it through though.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #66 on: 05/02/2009 09:26:55 »
As an athiest, I have no objection to those who wish to believe in any God. We are all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs.

But I object to those who claim there is a mathematical or scientific proof of the existance of a God. There CANNOT be any such proof and the concept is beyond belief.

2 + 2 = God???
2 atoms H + 1 atom O = God???
E = God???

You might just as well say this:

10gms self raising flour + 10gms castor sugar + 10gms butter + 2 eggs, bake in oven at 180oC for 25 mins = God. IT DOES NOT, it = Victoria Sponge.
2 + 2 = 4
2 atoms H + 1 atom O = Water
E = MC2

Offline demadone

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 05/02/2009 09:59:33 »
They are religious too. Just that they don't realize that believing that God exists not is also believing. They laugh at the word 'believe' and end up doing the same thing and fight tooth and nail to defend that belief.

If you are also asking why atheists becme irritated by religious nonsense, I can tell you that in my case it's because it's nonsense, which has the potential to corrupt minds, by blinding them to reason, enforcing ignorance, and in the worst cases, promoting evil deeds in the guise of god's will.

A generalization. Not religion teaches nonsense. If only you knew. Sometimes it is the assumption that the only guys who are religious are the ignorant and low level thinkers.

What do you mean by "set"? Just because things behave consistently doesn't have to imply that 'someone' designed it that way.

Rules are always set. Give an example of organization that results from Chaos. Developed nations are only such because of being organized. If rules are not set or followed nothing works well. An example is the global financial crisis.

lyner

« Reply #68 on: 05/02/2009 10:07:16 »
Stephan
That I can agree with. It would be nice if they did think it through though.
That would involve what is referred to as 'formal thought'. Very few humans actually engage in formal thought. Why do you think Football is the main topic of conversation in most groups of humans? Yawn.

Demadone
Yet more circular arguments from you, I'm afraid.

Saying that we 'believe' just because we are thinking about it is totally begging the question. Your model is not the only one which can apply.
Why are rules 'set'?
I have already dealt with the difference between Scientific 'Laws' and the laws which the Church used to say that God imposes.

Offline demadone

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 05/02/2009 10:12:54 »
But I object to those who claim there is a mathematical or scientific proof of the existence of a God.

Not to sure what that can mean. I don't think there is any scientific or mathematical proof of anyone's existence. You either know or you don't know. Believe that Hitler existed or don't believe. That Christ existed or didn't. Maths and science are not for proving individuals.

Offline demadone

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05/02/2009 10:29:36 »
Saying that we 'believe' just because we are thinking about it is totally begging the question. Your model is not the only one which can apply.

I find it hard to accept that most of you are 'thinking' about it. To me it's more like you have reached the conclusion. I call it worship because you refuse to think outside the box of what you believe. God is rather obvious when you do. Also I'm not saying worship is sticking to a conclusion because that's the dangerous kind of worship. Sometimes we need to adjust. We adjust if all the dots connect and if there are fewer questions left to be answered.

The foresight exhibited in nature and it's beginning tell of a very intelligent being, which chaos does not.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #71 on: 05/02/2009 10:46:46 »
I think someone should initiate a forum dedicated to the argument between religion Vs atheism and creation Vs evolution, where all those who want to try to convert each other can do so, rather than putting up a barrage of such topics on TNS. Do religious forums have a constant barrage from evolutionists and atheists trying to convert them?

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 05/02/2009 10:52:26 »
I think someone should initiate a forum dedicated to the argument between religion Vs atheism and creation Vs evolution, where all those who want to try to convert each other can do so, rather than putting up a barrage of such topics on TNS. Do religious forums have a constant barrage from evolutionists and atheists trying to convert them?

I AGREE! I've already had a comment about this....Don - I guess that you should make a comment in the feedback section....

Offline demadone

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05/02/2009 11:09:35 »
We're trying to answer a beginning. What was there before the singularity. Who made the rules of the universe we live in. The very one's this forum is all about.

Offline justaskin

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 05/02/2009 11:46:49 »

Why do you think Football is the main topic of conversation in most groups of humans?
Now SC you can slag off those other religions as much as you like but when it comes to slagging off football well thats heresy. ;D

Cheers
justaskin

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 05/02/2009 11:46:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums