The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How will they know when they find the Higgs Boson Particle?  (Read 6327 times)

Bruce

Bruce asked the Naked Scientists:

How will they know when they find the Higgs Boson Particle?

What are the chances of opening a black hole in the LHC? How dangerous could this be?

What do you think?

Offline rich42

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2008 01:21:51 »
The Higgs Boson, if it is discovered at LHC, will be identified through its decay products. It will almost certainly be unstable with a very short decay time (due to the fact that it is not seen in a stable form in nature) and the current predicted decay chain (from supersymmetry theory, which predicts the Higgs Boson in the first place) ends up with the production of 4 muons. A collision which seems to produce 4 muons alone with a total energy of above 100GeV will be a very strong candidate.

As for black hole production, I wouldn't be too concerned. Cosmic rays entering the atmosphere at random can have many many times the energy that will be produced in the LHC and the Earth is still around! Any small black holes produced will be microscopic in nature and will evaporate by Hawking radiation moments after they are created.

Richard

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2008 17:17:29 »
Just to echo what Rich said. Many particles are not seen directly but are identified by the decay products. Physicists then have to "reverse engineer" what they see to work out what particle was responsible.

However, I understood that the Higgs boson's mass was thought to be the weak scale - i.e. 250-1000GeV.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2008 19:45:35 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2008 18:31:16 »
I was just reading about this! Here's a quote from the AP article I was reading:

The start of the collider came over the objections of some who feared the collision of protons could eventually imperil the Earth by creating micro-black holes, subatomic versions of collapsed stars whose gravity is so strong they can suck in planets and other stars.

"It's nonsense," said James Gillies, chief spokesman for CERN.

CERN was backed by leading scientists like Britain's Stephen Hawking , who declared the experiments to be absolutely safe.

Gillies told the AP that the most dangerous thing that could happen would be if a beam at full power were to go out of control, and that would only damage the accelerator itself and burrow into the rock around the tunnel.

Offline Gabe2k2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2008 18:47:18 »
According to my astronomical model they wont recognise the particle there searching for at all !

Simply due to the inability to measure the effects of such a particle !
« Last Edit: 10/09/2008 18:51:40 by Gabe2k2 »

Offline rich42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/09/2008 23:56:26 »
Just to echo what Rich said. Many particles are not seen directly but are identified by the decay products. Physicists then have to "reverse engineer" what they see to work out what particle was responsible.

However, I understood that the Higgs boson's mass was thought to be the weak scale - i.e. 250-1000GeV.

As far as I know, the lower limit for the mass of the Higgs is about 180GeV, the maximum energy the LEP could get to, so I was a little below the mark! I think they're expecting to find it not far above that energy, otherwise it makes the underlying theory a lot harder to explain.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2008 13:01:26 »

As far as I know, the lower limit for the mass of the Higgs is about 180GeV, the maximum energy the LEP could get to, so I was a little below the mark! I think they're expecting to find it not far above that energy, otherwise it makes the underlying theory a lot harder to explain.

It will certainly cast serious doubt on the Standard Model if they don't find it

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11/09/2008 13:04:24 »
According to my astronomical model they wont recognise the particle there searching for at all !

Simply due to the inability to measure the effects of such a particle !

Could you please explain your reason for saying this. Everything I know about particle physics, collider experiments and the LHC in particular says they have a very good chance of finding it.

Offline harrymonk

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/06/2011 12:31:19 »
Haven’t you all heard? The Higgs boson has been found. It must be true; I read it in the paper. newbielink:http://www.essexherald.com/science.htm [nonactive]  :o

Offline Mr. Data

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27/06/2011 20:02:23 »
Haven’t you all heard? The Higgs boson has been found. It must be true; I read it in the paper. http://www.essexherald.com/science.htm  :o

As far as I am aware, they are questioning whether they actually found it or not: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3546973.stm

I hope they don't, I've never believed such a particle exists in nature.

Offline yor_on

• (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27/06/2011 22:45:39 »
I found your paper most informative Harry. “If an apple is made of atoms, do atoms taste of apple?” which seems to be the next step for the very large HC according to the source will surely bring further clarity to the question. Inspiring thoughts :)

Offline CPT ArkAngel

• View Profile

Offline kierae0608

• View Profile
?
« Reply #13 on: 11/08/2011 23:51:24 »
could finding the higgs boson partical end the world.?

The Naked Scientists Forum

?
« Reply #13 on: 11/08/2011 23:51:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums