The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I step up DC voltage from a battery?  (Read 56744 times)

Offline AliGeeJay

• First timers
    • View Profile
How can I step up DC voltage from a battery?
« on: 06/09/2008 20:39:23 »
Is there a way of using a standard penlight (AA, 1.5v) battery and generating about 12-15 volts to a wire?  I know that I will need to add something between the battery and the wire to step-up the voltage but I can't think of what.  Any help given will be appreciated.  This is for a serious project I have in mind and not a prank.  I wish I could give more details but I am still in the development stage.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2008 23:28:04 by chris »

Offline Freeman

• View Profile
Re: How can I step up DC voltage from a battery?
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/2008 22:35:17 »
Is there a way of using a standard penlight (AA, 1.5v) battery and generating about 12-15 volts to a wire?  I know that I will need to add something between the battery and the wire to step-up the voltage but I can't think of what.  Any help given will be appreciated.  This is for a serious project I have in mind and not a prank.  I wish I could give more details but I am still in the development stage.

Hello AliGeeJay.

I can help you but I would appreciate it if you could tell me what type of load you are going to power at output of this system.

As for the parts:Inverter for turning the dc [direct current] to ac [alternating current],step-up Transformer and a bridge-rectifier to turn the ac back to dc if needed.

Cheers
Freeman.

Offline AliGeeJay

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/2008 23:29:51 »
Many thanks for the reply.  Basically what I want to do is charge a wire so that when touched it will cause the person a small electric shock, similar to a stun gun or cattle prod but with a dracticlly reduced charge, almost like a static shock some people get when they touch the metal of a car.

This is by no means to be used to inflict pain but mearly a reminder that they should not have touched the wire.

The most I can use is either 2 x 1.5v batteries or at most 1 x 9v battery.  I need this to be as small as possible.

I hope this helps.  If you need any further details is will get back.

Thanks.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/09/2008 00:09:36 »
In the UK creating a boobytrap to deliver an electric shock to anyone would be a criminal offence, even if the "booby" was a burglar touching a metal door handle. (pity). In this scenario the burglar could also sue you for any injuries (real or pretend), e.g. they claim your electric shock made them fall to the ground and hit their head.

Also bear in mind that innocent persons (or animals) may be shocked by your intended device, not just thieving b4stards.
« Last Edit: 07/09/2008 00:29:07 by RD »

Offline AliGeeJay

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/09/2008 09:00:06 »
The device in question is a training device.  Therefore the people using it would now about the results of coming into contact with the charge.  Also I intend to have a minimal charge used.  It is purely to demonstrate a point that what they thought they had done, they hadn't actually done.

Offline Freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2008 11:35:58 »
Many thanks for the reply.  Basically what I want to do is charge a wire so that when touched it will cause the person a small electric shock, similar to a stun gun or cattle prod but with a dracticlly reduced charge, almost like a static shock some people get when they touch the metal of a car.

This is by no means to be used to inflict pain but mearly a reminder that they should not have touched the wire.

The most I can use is either 2 x 1.5v batteries or at most 1 x 9v battery.  I need this to be as small as possible.

I hope this helps.  If you need any further details is will get back.

Thanks.

Thanks AliGeeJay that is all I needed.

Right for this shock effect you will want to create I would suggest you use the 1 x 9V battery instead of the 2 x 1.5V.Reason for this is that you want to create a sufficient charge at the output wires and 1 or 2 x 1.5V batteries will not be capable for giving the power needed to generate the desired outputs.

As for the minimum amount of charge needed at the output it will be anything from 90 Volts (which is just a prickle you feel on your finger tip) to 200 Volts.Small 220V - 9V transformer will do with this project, there dimensions are roughly speaking around 40 x 30mm.

The inverter can be a NE555p IC connected so that it functions like a inverter with the output pins connected over the transformer.

Here is a where you can find the schematic for the 555 IC inverter:

http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/solid-state-tesla-coil-with-555-timer/ [nofollow]

Cheers
Freeman.

Offline AliGeeJay

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2008 21:02:27 »
Many thanks for the reply Freeman.  I now need to go out and try and build this and incorporate it into my finished design.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #7 on: 08/09/2008 13:16:33 »
The best device to use is an old fashioned shocking or induction coil  you use an iron cored coil of wire and a magnetig intrrupter such that when the coil generates a magnetic field it attracts a piece of iron to it and breaks the circuit.  an old fashoned doorbell with a gong is a good example  the back emf on beraking the circuit gives aa mold and safe shock'

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/09/2008 19:45:17 »
Perhaps the modern day equivalent of the induction coil- the TENS machine or one of those "muscle trainer" things might serve the purpose.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: 11/09/2008 09:05:24 »
There are also DC-DC converters (charge pumps) available which will step up DC voltages I think by wiring a load of capacitors in parallel and then series. But how we feel DC and AC voltages isn't the same so you would have to experiment.

Offline kodyg44

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22/05/2013 02:30:06 »
The best way to make a shocker that will not hurt the person who is being shocked would be to connect a 9vcc battery or 2 AA batteries to a transformer, and the transformer's positive output to the person, and the negative to a switch that will disconnect whenever the person has made a mistake. There body will act like a capacitor, and hold a charge when the switch is closed, but when the switch is open the charge will be release, and having nowhere to go, it will leave them as a shock.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 22/05/2013 02:30:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums