The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Who do you think is the most influential person in history?  (Read 13948 times)

paul.fr

Who do you think is the most influential person in history?
« Reply #50 on: 15/09/2008 01:10:28 »

The goalposts get changed, and what does Alan mean by "influenced", does anyone know?

That is precisely why I wanted to differentiate between influence and effect.

As for RD's point about Gutenburg, that's valid. But has Gutenburg been more influential than the person (or persons) who invented writing? Without writing, there would never have been printing presses.

But even the post by RD can be discounted as it does not meet what the question is asking (or what it seems to be asking). Is Guttenberg an influence on people or his invention? They are, afterall, different questions.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 15/09/2008 11:42:24 »
I was thinking about this last night and thought that we should all be grateful to Sir Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the world wide web.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

Otherwise we'd not have come across forums, new friends and loads of education, learning, films, music etc.

Also Alan Turing, who had invented PCs though there were so big then that it
took a WHOLE room to keep them in. I've seen them. Colossus it's called and still working WoWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing
« Last Edit: 15/09/2008 11:46:59 by rosalind dna »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16/09/2008 10:24:36 »
I don't think the sort of computers Turing was involved with could be called PCs. Nothing particularly "personal" about them.

blakestyger

« Reply #53 on: 16/09/2008 13:39:56 »
That's right - the computer at the college I was at in the 1960s filled an entire room and on a good day it would solve a quadratic equation.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17/09/2008 08:28:20 »
I was IT Manager for a large Electricity Supply Commission,in he 1970s our IBM computer took up half the floor of a large multistory building. The master files were located on huge reels which could and would break in the middle of long runs that sometimes took 24 hours to possess.

Huge airconditioners were needed to keep the monster cool.

So the nighmare never ended , all we could do was recover from security tapes and start the whole nightmare 24 hour run again.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #54 on: 17/09/2008 08:28:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums