The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How would an LHC micro black hole (mbh) evolve?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline pagheca

• First timers
    • View Profile
How would an LHC micro black hole (mbh) evolve?
« on: 09/09/2008 19:17:21 »
there is absolutely no ground to think that black holes eventually produced by the LHC (or by cosmic rays) would survive. However, suppose for a moment, as a sort of (pretty scaring) homework, they would. My question is: which would be the actual evolution of such an mbh and of the Earth?

The idea is that an LHC produced mbh would have a very small mass, roughly equal to 1000 times a proton mass, with a Schwarzschild radius of ~10e-18 m.

Large bh from star, or in the center of galaxies are often surrounded by an accretion disk of debris formed by companion stars or other materials. The "radius" of a bh having the mass of the Earth would be ~1 cm. So, after some time most of the mass of the Earth would be swallowed into this radius. This would require some time, given the momentum of the masses involved and the dynamic of accretion disk. How much time in this case?

I read somewhere the idea is that such a mbh, formed in the rest frame of the LCH, would quickly travel to the centre of the Earth. However, I read nothing about what next.

First, I question if this is a correct starting assumption. This mbh would have no electrical charge. It would only sense gravitational force and would be submitted to a continuous swing effect by surrounding (larger, at the beginning) molecules. The mbh would tend to fall toward the center of mass but would keep moving as a gas molecule, losing energy - I think - by bremsstrahlung. On the other side, the gravity get lower toward the center of the earth and the mbh would only fall very slower as it get deeper and deeper.

However, after some time, the mbh would hit and incorporate more mass, according to gravitational cross sections rules at that high density. At some point it would start perturbing the motion of surrounding molecules and atom, other molecules would start orbiting around it and friction processes could begin to heat the surrounding material. Shortly after, the material would start to expand or would be swallowed and strong earthquake would probably be sensed all over the Earth. I think that at this point the process would increase so rapidly that the Earth would be literally transformed in debris accretion disk.

My question is:
1) is this model correct? Do you know about any paper that worked out the probable model for the actual evolution of the mbh?
2) how much time would take to disaggregate the planet? seconds? days? years?

thanks
« Last Edit: 10/09/2008 10:35:20 by pagheca »

Offline pagheca

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How would an LHC micro black hole (mbh) evolve?
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2008 22:05:45 »
here is a reasonable answer to my question:
newbielink:http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2008/04/black-holes-at-lhc-what-can-happen.html [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: How would an LHC micro black hole (mbh) evolve?
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2008 22:05:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums