The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is my core body temperature lower than normal?  (Read 12723 times)

Adri de Bruyne

Is my core body temperature lower than normal?
« on: 12/09/2008 16:12:11 »
Adri de Bruyne asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Nakedscienitsts :)

I have a theory that my body heat is lower than normal. I find that i'm always cold. Even in our warm weather i always take a jacket with me when i go out somewhere. I can't swim in a pool that is not heated, and if i want to swim in a normal cold pool, i have to sit in the sun for at least an hour to feel warm enough to take a dip. THEN i only stay in the water for 2 minutes until i freeze again. I don't sweat, unless i'm working out, and it takes a lot of exercise for just a bit of sweat.

Is my core temperature lower than normal? Is there something i can eat or do to get my general body temperature to be higher? This might not seem like a problem, but its so annoying! I hate being cold so much i dread taking a shower lol! I'm 1.7 meters tall and weigh 60kg, i also eat a normal diet if these factors play any role. This is supposed to be SUNNY south africa, and i'm not sunny! Any words of wisdom?

LOVE the show!!!

What do you think?

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2008 18:34:29 »
Normal body temperature is usually 36.8 C 0.7 C, or 98.2 F 1.3 F, when the measurement is taken orally. you could track your body temps by buying an oral thermometer at the pharmacy.

I can think of several things that can contribute to your feeling cold a lot of the time. One is poor circulation. Women often have this problem in their extremities (hands and feet). Another is lack of body fat; less body fat would cause you to lose heat quickly since it works as insulation.

There is a medical condition known as Wilson's Syndrome in which your core body temperature is lower than normal, though many doctors question its authenticity. Here are a couple of links to pages with information on that subject, since it is extensive.'s_Thyroid_Syndrome

There are also a lot of other medical conditions which can cause low body core temperature. They are usually coupled with other symptoms, such as fatigue, etc. I would suggest consulting a doctor if you find that your temps are consistently low after self-monitoring with a thermometer.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2008 18:56:33 »
Tobacco has not been mentioned, it is a common cause of poor circulation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2008 18:56:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums