The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A Request  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
A Request
« on: 28/01/2005 20:18:14 »
Hey all, I was just wondering if we could get a technology, internet, or Computer Science Forum going, since this is a web based place n' all... and this is most definitely my main field of knowledge and interest. Plus maybe some sort of Math'sy Forum??? I understand this might take up loads more space in the database??? But I hope the powers that be think this is a good idea, plus I would be happy to give out free help with computer problems (not promising any results since I am still a student [:I]) but I would certainly try. I have no idea how many others around enjoy or want to discuss computing of any kind, but since you're all online I imagine there must be at least a few :).

Thanks... I realize this is probably a bit much to ask since there is the General Science Forum :D What do peeps think?

wOw the world spins?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: A Request
« Reply #1 on: 28/01/2005 20:50:15 »
Great Idea Matt....I've been thinking along the same lines about offering my field of knowledge in a Hi Fi thread too....in my case though, there are quite a few Audio forums already and it's probably 'off topic' for this site...but I wish you luck with your idea.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 28/01/2005 20:55:50 »
Yay thatís one person thanks Neil; but there are loads of peeps on here so I guess it's not really justified, since as you say there are lots of fields of interest everyone would most likely want to see on here. I guess Iím being kinda greedy [}:)] hmmm no greed emoticon strange :).

wOw the world spins?

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/01/2005 16:50:34 »
I think its a good idea.  I work with computers every day (I'm a DBA) and find it sort of boring, but lots of people think computers are pretty interesting.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline slitz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/01/2005 22:00:38 »
im a computer retard and anywhere i could go and ask someone for help would be great, sounds like a good idea to me. GET ON TO IT NAKED SCIENTIST!! :D

whats a forum signature? oh THIS is a forum signature

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2005 20:44:36 »
Matt....what has happend to my PC so that now when I type in my log in details (when I connect to the net) and view certain  web pages , the text is in itallic ?...do I have an itallic virus ?...cos it's really rather quite annoying me..... (pissing me off !!!)

Offline slitz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/01/2005 01:06:56 »
nice to see an example of how helpfull and fast your responses would be matt...... PULL YOUR FINGER OUTA YOUR ARSE DAMMIT!

whats a forum signature? oh THIS is a forum signature

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/01/2005 17:30:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Matt....what has happend to my PC so that now when I type in my log in details (when I connect to the net) and view certain  web pages , the text is in itallic ?...do I have an itallic virus ?...cos it's really rather quite annoying me..... (pissing me off !!!)

..well...I sorted it out all by myself !!..Jee..thanks for the support Matt:D;):D

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31/01/2005 18:08:11 »
My first response was "NO WAY!", but I have reconsidered. We have forums for general science, physics, cosmology, biology, geology, medicine, chemistry, even paleonotology. Computer science IS a bona-fide science. I imagine Cambridge has a CS department. So, on that basis, there could be a CS forum. In fact, perhaps there should be a CS forum, and we have been remis in not having a CS forum.

That having been said, I now will record my reservations, the original reason I said "NO WAY!": A CS forum could be spammed out of existence with "help desk" requests. Everybody needs help desk from time-to-time (except me, who can do anything in computers, assuming I have administrative rights). So I could see the forums getting filled with that stuff. Help desk is not CS. CS is just that, so somebody with a question about compiler design, network theory, or how a barrel-shifter works would be justified in posting a question. Somebody who's got a virus on his computer has got to call Symantec for assistance, or RTFM. On the other hand, a discussion about viruses, Tojan horses, and worms is a valid forum issue.

So there you have my opinion about a CS forum, and that is all I have to say about that.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31/01/2005 18:59:30 »
It's a science to teach wifey how to turn the computer on...I can tell you that !!..OUCH !!!..(wifey hits me with filled nappy sack !!)

In any case..I think gsmollin would be an excellent administrator, whoever you are ??...(hoping that the duplication of question marks will facilitate a revelation of information from the gsmollin persona)

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 31/01/2005 21:02:30 »
Tee Hee, I guess I am a bit slow to reply :D. I agree that a help desk would destroy the forum. But it would be nice to discuss what I "know" about without having to guess or Google for it. The first thing about Trojans and Viruses etc. to discuss would be choice of browser and how that will prevent most of them... anyone here using Microsoft Internet Explorer with default settings... shame on you [:p]. Go grab fire fox or something equally good:

Opera http://www.opera.com/ (you gotta pay $$$'s)
Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ (free)
Or setup MSIE trusted sites and use "high" security setting with activeX content disabled [:o)]

wOw the world spins?

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 31/01/2005 21:05:08 »
Could just post to general science, but thatís more for quirky stuff or at least thatís what I use it for :D

wOw the world spins?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31/01/2005 21:23:37 »
I use firefox and explorer (could that cause a conflict ?) I find Firefox is excellent except when replying to posts within forums like this, as when you want to higlight something or make something bold etc, in Explorer, you just highlight the text then click the appropriate icon and it surounds the text with the appropriate tag, Firefox just sticks the tags at the end of the text, which really annoys me....why is this ?

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 31/01/2005 21:29:11 »
I noticed that [xx(] no idea, but since Firefox is open source I could try and fix the problem myself unlike if i had any problem with IE ;)

wOw the world spins?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #14 on: 01/02/2005 08:46:27 »
okay, assuming we have a computer science and maths forum (I suggest we combine the 2 as the maths one might be slow off the ground and then end up sidelined) who is going to moderate it ?

I think it would be best to have 2 people to do this.

Secondly, what is its scope ? What does it aim to discuss ? We'll need a leading line to decribe it.

It would be very important to make sure that it doesn't become a total anorak zone comprehensible only to people with a brain the size of a planet.

volunteers, suggestions ?

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 01/02/2005 16:29:16 »
:D I don't own an Anorak. Don't know what to call it, Maths, Computing & Technology????

wOw the world spins?

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #16 on: 01/02/2005 19:18:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by gsmollin

My first response was "NO WAY!", but I have reconsidered. We have forums for general science, physics, cosmology, biology, geology, medicine, chemistry, even paleonotology. Computer science IS a bona-fide science. I imagine Cambridge has a CS department. So, on that basis, there could be a CS forum. In fact, perhaps there should be a CS forum, and we have been remis in not having a CS forum.

That having been said, I now will record my reservations, the original reason I said "NO WAY!": A CS forum could be spammed out of existence with "help desk" requests. Everybody needs help desk from time-to-time (except me, who can do anything in computers, assuming I have administrative rights). So I could see the forums getting filled with that stuff. Help desk is not CS. CS is just that, so somebody with a question about compiler design, network theory, or how a barrel-shifter works would be justified in posting a question. Somebody who's got a virus on his computer has got to call Symantec for assistance, or RTFM. On the other hand, a discussion about viruses, Tojan horses, and worms is a valid forum issue.

So there you have my opinion about a CS forum, and that is all I have to say about that.

my initial reasoning followed exactly as described above.  While in the end i do guess that there are some very interesting computer science theory issues that we could discuss here (an area I know noting about) i think they could be just brought up in the current general science forum (or expand the title of the physics to include math)  that way it leaves the door open for people with truely engaging concepts to discuss them, while not inviting those with the worng idea of what should be discussed in such a forum.

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

Offline glasses seeker

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01/02/2005 21:30:31 »
hello
first time to naked scientists forum
what is the chat
[:X]

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 02/02/2005 08:35:54 »
Welcome glasses seeker, just trying to convince everyone they need to expand the forum :D

wOw the world spins?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #18 on: 02/02/2005 08:35:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums