The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: bleeding for weeks  (Read 3459 times)

Offline suzy

• View Profile
bleeding for weeks
« on: 30/01/2005 11:42:32 »
My sister had a miscarrage in the mid December.  She has now been bleeding on and off since.  The blood loss can be large clots.  She was taken to accident and emergency last week.  After an examination the doctor said, there was no infection and he said quite honestly that he did not know what was causinf this.  She had a scan the following morning that showed nothing.  They gave her some tablets to stop the bleeding, however it continues.  She is planning to go back to her GP tomorrow.  What are your thoughts on this

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: bleeding for weeks
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2005 17:17:22 »
Suzy, so sorry to hear of your sisters miscarriage. I'm not an expert but I understand your sisters body has undergone a trauma and this might upset the bodys equilibriam but...well...I'm just speculating here....best to wait and see what the medical people say....if this any consolation when my wife had our third child, she continued to bleed for 2 months !!...it might be related...one thing for sure....do not worry (easy to say isn't it ?)....how far gone was she ?

I wish you and your sister well.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Kittycat

« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2005 01:08:56 »
Hi Suzy,

I too am sorry to hear of your sister losing her baby. This is traumatic in every way. My thinking is that her body is experiencing trauma and trying to deal with the pregnancy issues. Her body is in shock from not having a normal pregnancy experience and also dealing with the hormonal disruption.
I hope she is taking a good quality iron supplement and herbs to help balance the body's hormones. I can suggest more if you would like. I have experimented on myself with similar health issues. Has her doctor recommended a D&C?. When I would take enough iron, my cycle would be more mild, and when I would slack off it would be really bad. We ladies can get anemic real fast and this can affect us in many ways. I hope this helps, God bless, Cathy
« Last Edit: 31/01/2005 01:12:40 by Kittycat »

Offline suzy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/01/2005 18:19:01 »
Apparently no D&C required because she has no tissue left from the baby.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2005 18:12:19 »
If she's still bleeding, then she probably has some retained tissue.  Sounds to me like it's time for the D&C.  Generally, babies miscarried in the first three months do not require a D&C, but not always.

Offline suzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2005 23:50:32 »
My sister continues to bleed, however they have got to the problem.  She has an underactive thyroid which apparently has been causing the bleeding.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2005 23:50:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length