The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did Giant Comet Help Hobbits Reach Flores?  (Read 17588 times)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Did Giant Comet Help Hobbits Reach Flores?
« Reply #25 on: 25/09/2008 20:57:56 »
You think that, because a TV doccumentary crew couldn't make it the  ancients couldn't?
Do you realise that's a complete non sequitur? It didn't occur to you that the TV crew's parents and grandparents hadn't been fishing in those waters?

Offline common_sense_seeker

• View Profile
    • Believers In Gravity Shielding (BiGS)
« Reply #26 on: 26/09/2008 10:53:20 »
Very funny. The main point to note is that the very idea of homo erectus boat-building 800,000 years ago is preposterous. It goes against all other scientific trends of early hominid abilities. It's way off! A temporary land bridge makes a lot more sense, as well as for the colonisation of Australia around 40,000 B.P by early man. Science is about detective work. You have to think like Sherlock Holmes.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26/09/2008 11:14:30 »
I don't remember the Hobbits going to Flores! Was this during the quest for the one ring?

Paul that was the media's name for these people. Because the
Lord of the Rings trilogy was being filmed at the time.
Yes that is Tolkein's story.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27/09/2008 10:59:34 »
I should really say homo floresiensis instead of 'hobbits' of course.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27/09/2008 15:22:42 »
Sherlock Holmes and the Hobbit, hey? Care to add any more fictional characters in support of your ideas?
Anyway, while a land bridge might be a reasonable explanation for some things, for example the UK was previously connected to mainland Europe, the idea of a land bridge that suddenly popped up then went away again is preposterous. If it had happened, the water rushing away from it as it rose would wipe out anything living for hundreds of miles. There would be nothing alive to cross the temporary bridge.
Please stop wasting bandwith with dross like this.
« Last Edit: 27/09/2008 15:27:04 by Bored chemist »

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30/09/2008 10:16:31 »
That's a poor argument. It was 40,000 years ago, and the land bridge could have remained for hundreds of years before the lithosphere returned to it's normal shape. Nobody has done the calculations yet, that's all.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30/09/2008 19:47:56 »
It's a perfectly valid argument; if you are proposing that a comet (which moves fast) caused a rise in the land level and drew the land up through the sea, the sea would have had to get out of the way fast. Hundreds of years isn't the issue here.
That's a lot of fast water so it would have washed stuff away.
Rather than saying that nobody has done the maths, why don't you do it?
Scared it would prove you wrong?
Let me help you with a start- it is known that when the earth is moved suddenly by earthquakes it settles down to a great exrtent in a few seconds. The aftershocks are also events with timescales in seconds. There's no reason to supose that your tweaked landbridge would last longer.

Of course there's another problem with your idea; if the gravity of this commet was big enough to atract the land, it would have attracted the water even more. The water would have got deeper rather than shallower.

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01/10/2008 13:20:10 »
You're really not thinking about this. I can tell. BTW the Moon traverses at a very slow rate across the sky. A first thought the speed of the traverse will not give anything different to a lift of land which would produce very long-period waves compared to the short-period waves of comet ocean impacts for example. You knowledge of the many scientific events leading to a flexure of the lithosphere is too limited for you to comment effectively. Any readers should consider reading the definitive book on the subject "A Flexure Of The Lithosphere".
« Last Edit: 01/10/2008 13:27:45 by common_sense_seeker »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01/10/2008 19:57:19 »
"You're really not thinking about this. "
That would make two of us.

I grant you I'm not thinking very hard about it.
All I have to do is realise that, if the commet were not traveling at (at least) escape velocity, it would still be here.
That means it's going fast.
That means it has to exert any effect quickly.
That means the effect in turn will be quick.
Shifting a sea quickly will trash everything in the area.

You still haven't explained how only the land rises, but the sea says obligingly down out of the way anyway so your theory is still a bit pants.

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09/10/2008 09:33:20 »
Everything probably was affected by the event. I am proposing that the land rose very quickly to a great height. Continents probably were inundated by waves of seawater. Nature recovers very quickly. The only problem with the theory is proving that a giant comet fly-by could create this large flexure of the lithosphere. Iīm carefully considering the case of the Sunīs gravity gradient and the amount of force produced. I think that this alone wouldnīt be enough to create the observed flexure. I have to show this mathematically of course, which is my current task.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_force

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09/10/2008 19:48:35 »
"The only problem with the theory is proving that a giant comet fly-by could create this large flexure of the lithosphere."
Not quite.

One point we have made in the past is that we know how strong gravity is and we know how stiff rocks are so we know how much a comet would lift the lithosphere, and it's not enough.
"Iīm carefully considering the case of the Sunīs gravity gradient and the amount of force produced. I think that this alone wouldnīt be enough " Well spotted; how many times did we need to tell you that?

However there's still another problem. Water is less stiff than rock so you wouldn't make a land bridge- you would make a tidal surge.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09/10/2008 20:01:42 »
"The only problem with the theory is proving that a giant comet fly-by could create this large flexure of the lithosphere."
Not quite.

One point we have made in the past is that we know how strong gravity is and we know how stiff rocks are so we know how much a comet would lift the lithosphere, and it's not enough.
"Iīm carefully considering the case of the Sunīs gravity gradient and the amount of force produced. I think that this alone wouldnīt be enough " Well spotted; how many times did we need to tell you that?

However there's still another problem. Water is less stiff than rock so you wouldn't make a land bridge- you would make a tidal surge.

You just donīt understand the subtlety of what Iīm proposing. BTW The period of this giant comet is 37,000 years, which I have deduced from the sediment core data of the North Atlantic by Bond & Lotti. 
« Last Edit: 10/10/2008 08:21:09 by common_sense_seeker »

lyner

« Reply #37 on: 10/10/2008 10:30:01 »
You just donīt understand the subtlety of what Iīm proposing.
I think you are confusing 'subtlety' with 'vagueness' or 'lack of substance', actually.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10/10/2008 13:26:59 »
You just donīt understand the subtlety of what Iīm proposing.
I think you are confusing 'subtlety' with 'vagueness' or 'lack of substance', actually.

And your another one who doesnīt understand the subtlety. Itīs as simple as that.

lyner

« Reply #39 on: 10/10/2008 23:34:04 »
How long did you think that the force of this comet's near miss was applied for?
Are you familiar with the concept of 'Impulse'? That is Force times time.
The actual damage achieved by the passage would depend upon both force and time it was acting for. The scenario you describe  would involve a very short time for the event so the force would have to be incredibly high. Just how close and what would the mass have to be? Have you ever done the sums? (Or are they too subtle for you?)

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11/10/2008 12:34:21 »
I understand subtlety perfectly well. The problem is that you don't understand science.
Your conjecture does not match with observation and is therefore wrong, no matter how subtle it is.
"The period of this giant comet is 37,000 years, which I have deduced from the sediment core data of the North Atlantic by Bond & Lotti.  "
I don't know a lot about that data, but I know you are wrong. A comet that regularly flew by the earth and orbited the sun would have a chaotic orbit because the earth keeps moving relative to the sun.
That, btw, is a subtle effect.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2008 12:37:45 by Bored chemist »

lyner

« Reply #41 on: 11/10/2008 13:39:51 »
And your another one
Is that the possessive adjective  "your"  or the abbreviated clause "you're"?
There's a subtle difference.

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13/10/2008 13:48:07 »
Pullin' me up on typos is a joke. Who cares? You've both made loads yourselves.

BC, I have taken the recurring orbit into consideration. The 77,000 B.P fly-by wouldn't have been so close, but would have still affected the convection currents, and so would have induced an ice-age in my opinion. One of the first major comets recorded in history was the 1150 B.C sighting by the chinese. I've even concluded that this was my comet, actually seen by the human eye in recent history.

The mathematical proof is underway in another forum which incorporates TeX language. But this must sound all double-dutch to you two. Just wait and see.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13/10/2008 19:01:22 »
A link would be good.

lyner

« Reply #44 on: 13/10/2008 23:29:59 »
I'm waiting. What will I see?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 14/10/2008 07:11:00 »
If it was good I'm sure we would have a link by now.

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14/10/2008 09:57:30 »
If it was good I'm sure we would have a link by now.

You two don't even go to the links provided. You're way behind to start contemplating Heinrich events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_event

Note that I am convinced that ice core data analysis is flawed, due to "Tree Ring Psychology". It has been assumed that alternate bands in the ice core are laid annually. This may be true in recent times, but I believe could be erroneous for later dates. Due to the evidence of Hapgood's mammoth data, I don't believe the ice sheets existed before around 37,000 B.P. This is shown in the Bond & Lotti sediment sea core analysis. The delay between this and my proposed comet event of 40,000 B.P is due to the time taken for the induced convection to reach the crust from the core. Hence there is a global warming/cooling cycle over an approximate 2000-3000 year period.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 10:09:51 by common_sense_seeker »

lyner

« Reply #47 on: 14/10/2008 12:39:24 »
And what is induced convection? What force keeps it going in such a viscous medium as the Earth's mantle? How would a single impulse have any effect?
When are you going to stop bringing in red herrings?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14/10/2008 19:19:58 »
I particularly like "This may be true in recent times, but I believe could be erroneous for later dates." as an explanation. I guess that, like the link, we will just have to wait.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 15/10/2008 12:12:13 »
And what is induced convection? What force keeps it going in such a viscous medium as the Earth's mantle? How would a single impulse have any effect?
When are you going to stop bringing in red herrings?

The Penguin book 'An Introduction To Geology' states that the convection currents induced in the Earth's interior by the Moon keeps the planet from overheating. This is the type of convection current I am talking about.

BTW It was the Babylonians who recorded the comet event of 1140 B.C and stated that it lit up sky like day and had a tail like that of a scorpion.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 15/10/2008 12:12:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length