The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did Giant Comet Help Hobbits Reach Flores?  (Read 17573 times)

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Did Giant Comet Help Hobbits Reach Flores?
« Reply #50 on: 15/10/2008 18:02:57 »
CSS...I cannot find that book listed on the Penguin website or in any library catalogue I have checked (which is several). Would you happen to have an ISBN number or some other information like publish date, editors/authors, etc.?

Thanks!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 15/10/2008 19:38:42 »
Never mind the ISBN, tell us what it says about the answer to the question. What drives the convection currents?

Offline common_sense_seeker

• View Profile
    • Believers In Gravity Shielding (BiGS)
« Reply #52 on: 16/10/2008 10:13:10 »
CSS...I cannot find that book listed on the Penguin website or in any library catalogue I have checked (which is several). Would you happen to have an ISBN number or some other information like publish date, editors/authors, etc.?

Thanks!

The author is David Rothery.
Title: Geology
London, Teach Yourself series
ISBN 0340958790

Not Penguin after all. It was almost a year ago.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16/10/2008 10:17:24 »
Never mind the ISBN, tell us what it says about the answer to the question. What drives the convection currents?

Try reading the above mentioned book. It's due to the gravity gradient of the Moon acting on the Earth's interior and revolving around it once a month. My theory of an exotic inner core with a higher force of gravitational attraction would exaggerate this effect. I propose that the near-miss of a giant comet could similarly create significant convection currents which would create global cooling.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16/10/2008 20:09:51 »
No I won't.
You have a copy- you can type an excerpt from it more easily than I can get a copy.

Anyway, please explain how this avoids the problems I mentioned earlier. How come the ground moved but the water didn't and how did anything survive a flood that makes Noah's look like a puddle left by an unhousebroken puppy?

I forgot to add that we don't need to consider plasma or Bose-Einstein condensates here.
Does anyone know why I mentioned them?
« Last Edit: 17/10/2008 07:11:44 by Bored chemist »

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 17/10/2008 10:30:46 »

Anyway, please explain how this avoids the problems I mentioned earlier. How come the ground moved but the water didn't and how did anything survive a flood that makes Noah's look like a puddle left by an unhousebroken puppy?

This comment shows that you don't understand the standard scientific theory of the tides. You haven't bothered to look into the easy-to-read Wikipedia links given to you. You don't understand the gravity gradient explanation of the ocean tides. This is not my new theory, it's the current standard theory! Your scientific ability appears to be quite low, and I doubt whether you've ever had a scientific job in your life. You're probably just an enthusiast and if so, should admit it.

lyner

« Reply #56 on: 17/10/2008 19:26:51 »
I wonder whether css actually read the whole of the wiki link plus the comments. The rotation of the Moon and Earth around their barycentre is discussed.

I have a real problem with the 'vector' diagram with the big red arrows on the wiki page. It seems to imply that two forces in one direction can produce a smaller force. Does anyone else have views on that?

I have actually done some (numerical) calculations, using the masses, distances and time periods of the Moon-Earth system. There is a difference in gravitational forces at the nearest and furthest points on Earth from the Moon. There is also a difference in the centripetal force affecting the water on the near and far sides. The sum of the forces on the far side from the moon is a bit less than the force towards the centre of Earth at the poles. The sum of forces on the near side comes to virtually the same as for the far side.  (less than the Polar G in both cases). I assumed a spherical Earth, for simplicity.
I don't see how it is possible to ignore the centripetal effect as it is of a similar order to the effect of gravity gradient. Even MY sums can't be that far wrong.

There is a very similar situation for a satellite in orbit around the Earth. The CM of the satellite has balanced forces on it - so it goes in a circle. The satellite always presents its lower face to the Earth so it is rotating on an axis once every orbit (just like the Moon does).
But the 'lower' side of the satellite is closer to Earth (more G field) and going slower than it would have to in order to stay in orbit at this height - it experiences a pull down. The 'upper' side is going round faster than necessary - will be 'thrown out' a bit and it is further away, so the G field will be a bit less. The result is a difference in actual acceleration across the depth of the craft.
This is why we say that life in a satellite is 'in microgravity' and not in totally 'weightless' conditions. You would have two tidal bulges if you could arrange for a spherical balloon full of water to be suspended in the middle of a satellite.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18/10/2008 01:07:06 »
I have lost interest in this.
I have mention, in passing, the massive problem of the (about 5) states of matter.
Css
explain why the air is still here or go away.

Thanks  btw for the second best joke I have heard in a while.
"Your scientific ability appears to be quite low, and I doubt whether you've ever had a scientific job in your life. You're probably just an enthusiast and if so, should admit it. "
Feel free to evince that slander.

BTW
many of us are more interested in you giving real evidence than in my qualifications.
« Last Edit: 18/10/2008 18:11:16 by Bored chemist »

lyner

« Reply #58 on: 19/10/2008 00:04:00 »
How does it feel to be a thicky, BC? I must say I feel pretty humble about all this. I wish it had all been explained to me so well years ago. I would not have fallen into the trap of believing the Science I have been taught.
I guess I shall have to listen to more of these new theories and the may clear up all the unexplained mysteries of the Universe.
Pity, though. I was just getting the hang of this Newtonian stuff.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 19/10/2008 10:52:11 »
How does it feel to be a thicky, BC?

I don't know- perhaps I should ask someone. Any suggestions?

For those who have forgotten, here's CSS's theory from the opening post.
"I propose that a more logical alternative is that a temporary landbridge was created by the rising of the seabed due to a giant comet near-miss pulling on the Earth's inner core around 40,000 years ago."

I'm probably too thick to understand any explanation of how the stiff rocks moved, but the runny water stayed still. Even if I could get to grips with that there's little hope of me understanding how the atmosphere wasn't stripped by this cometary fly-by.
Worse still, I don't', so it seems to CSS, understand the accepted theory where the rocks stay still and the water sloshes about. I'm too thick to see how its the same as CSS's theory where the water only moves because the rocks (in their famously mobile, lively state) push the water about.

Perhaps I will never understand all this.

Does anyone else?

« Last Edit: 19/10/2008 10:57:05 by Bored chemist »

lyner

« Reply #60 on: 19/10/2008 23:42:26 »
No. I must be just as thick as you, BC.
I wonder what we have both missed.

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 23/05/2009 10:34:32 »
How does it feel to be a thicky, BC?

I don't know- perhaps I should ask someone. Any suggestions?

For those who have forgotten, here's CSS's theory from the opening post.
"I propose that a more logical alternative is that a temporary landbridge was created by the rising of the seabed due to a giant comet near-miss pulling on the Earth's inner core around 40,000 years ago."

I'm probably too thick to understand any explanation of how the stiff rocks moved, but the runny water stayed still. Even if I could get to grips with that there's little hope of me understanding how the atmosphere wasn't stripped by this cometary fly-by.
Worse still, I don't', so it seems to CSS, understand the accepted theory where the rocks stay still and the water sloshes about. I'm too thick to see how its the same as CSS's theory where the water only moves because the rocks (in their famously mobile, lively state) push the water about.

Perhaps I will never understand all this.

Does anyone else?

The rock of the earth's crust becomes flexible when sufficiently high forces are applied. It's the same idea as during an earthquake or the fact that a glacier can cause the crust to sink due to the extra weight. Incidentally, the uplift which caused the oceanbed to rise above sea level to create a temporary land bridge would also have created a massive upwelling of nutrients from the ocean floor. Is this one of the reasons that early man flourished around this time? Hugging the coastline would have provided man with a bounty of shellfish for example.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #61 on: 23/05/2009 10:34:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length