The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Albatross chicks a model to study for obesity?  (Read 3014 times)

Paul Anderson

Paul Anderson  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris and team,
Might research of the metabolism of albatross chicks be helpful in obesity research, as albatross chicks are apparently left to their own devices for possibly up to two weeks at a time and when the parent returns has a large meal?

Regards
Paul
NZ

What do you think?

Offline Asyncritus

• View Profile
Are Albatross chicks a model to study for obesity?
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2008 19:28:42 »
I wonder if I can mention the fact that cattlemen, seeking to find a cheap way to fatten their cattle, decided to feed their animals on coconut oil.

Coconut oil was in ill odour, because it is a highly saturated fat, and the establishment's pooh-poohing it, made its price drop dramatically.

To their astonishment, the animals lost weight, became leaner - and everything they didn't expect!

It was as much of a surprise as when it was discovered that fish oil reduced LDL cholesterol levels, and increased HDL levels. Imagine an oil doing that!

The reports I've read are all in favour of coconut oil doing remarkable things for weight, blood pressure, cholesterol levels etc etc.

Here's a favourable reference: http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

The Naked Scientists Forum

Are Albatross chicks a model to study for obesity?
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2008 19:28:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums