The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Reality of perception  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Reality of perception
« on: 17/09/2008 14:36:39 »
http://www.expandyourmind.com/philosophy/

ONE REALITY:

Each of us perceives the world through our own unique senses, or filters. Images, colors, textures, scents, and emotions are all unique to our own interpretation. As a consequence to this uniqueness, however, it is impossible to compare our own perceptions to others, as there is no medium to weigh the relative discernment.

For example, how can you be sure that what one person sees as red is the same hue values that another sees as red. Even if both people are looking at the same red fire engine, the hue may be interpreted differently. A fire engine is only a single color, in reality, even though it may be perceived to vary in color from person to person. What you perceive as red might be blue to another but it does not matter, if your red and his blue are learned as red as a child

When do you know that a dream is a dream? -- When you wake up from it, right? But right up until that point, you have no way of knowing that you are in a dream state. Itís the relative reality of "consciousness" that makes one conclude that they have just experienced a dream.

How do we know that what we perceive as human beings is an accurate representation of what really exists at all? Since certain animals have more acute hearing, sight, and touch than the human being, our limited perception restricts our ability to decode what is real. This makes it very difficult for us to decipher what is reality and what is not. The only thing we can be sure of is how we define our own reality.

Reality is "the state or quality of being real; actual being or existence of anything, in distinction from mere appearance; fact."  Therefore, reality is the actual state of an object or event, irrespective of the perceiverís subjective interpretations

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Reality of perception
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2008 15:18:06 »
Very deep. I see the point of our perception being an individual interpretation and that as such we cannot know what the reality is.

My wife, sitting in the same room as me, can say "I feel cold" while I feel quite comfortable. These are two different perceptions of the same circumstance which can be noticed. But RED to me and RED to her would be different perceptions which could only be measured if I could see the RED as she see's it, so I can compare it to the RED as I see it.

It's rather like the old question 'If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody to hear it, does it make a noise?' ???

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Reality of perception
« Reply #2 on: 17/09/2008 15:25:30 »
Don_1

My wife, sitting in the same room as me, can say "I feel cold" while I feel quite comfortable. These are two different perceptions of the same circumstance which can be noticed. But RED to me and RED to her would be different perceptions which could only be measured if I could see the RED as she see's it, so I can compare it to the RED as I see it.

Yes this is what I was trying to convey. If you could move your conscious into your wife's mind and look out of her eyes, maybe her Red is your Blue , but blue to you has always been  been known as red. So each person might view things in a different way

Perception is in the eye of the perceiver

Alan

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Reality of perception
« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2008 07:08:31 »
An amusing diversion, but, pending some idea of how to test it, not science.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Reality of perception
« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2008 09:22:16 »
Perception, what the eye sees not science?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Reality of perception
« Reply #5 on: 18/09/2008 19:59:17 »
Please explain how you might swap two peoples' experience in order to find out if they perceived it in the same way.
If you can't do that then this idea isn't testable which puts it more inthe realms of theology than science.
It reminds me of an old cartoon featuring 2 guys
One guy says "Maybe when you look at a tomato you see what I call green, but you call it red too."
The other guy says "That's nonsense".
The first guy says "OK, I will prove it; what colour is that rock?".
The second guy says "Gray".
The first guy says "Wrong!"

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Reality of perception
« Reply #6 on: 18/09/2008 20:10:15 »
Bored Chemist

Please explain how you might swap two peoples' experience in order to find out if they perceived it in the same way.

I cannot. Astronomer's might say that when a star moves away from us at great speed there is a marked shift to the infrared spectrum.

So if I could get into the brain of a person who perceives red as blue they will see blue as infrared.

We could ask an expert on bird how do they really know they are seeing in colour the same way we do

So this whole debate is futile .That is why I suggested a philosophy sub forum

The Naked Scientists Forum

Reality of perception
« Reply #6 on: 18/09/2008 20:10:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length