The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Recording hours and minutes in Excel !  (Read 10050 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Recording hours and minutes in Excel !
« on: 18/09/2008 02:45:28 »
Hi , I'm neil,

Nice to meet ewe !

I'm keeping a detailed daily log of my fitness regime and am so sad that I have created an Excel spreadsheet entering my data into it as I progress and continue on my journey to reclaim the boidy I had twenty years ago....almost there actually !

Can ewe show me/give me the formula that allows me to record NOT the time or date but simply a passage of time in hours and minutes ? I then want (sad as I am being a stat freak)...I then want to be able to use that  'time ' to calculate the number of calories I burn in a minute or an hour etc...

Can ewe help ?

Thank's for this.

This looks like a nice place..think I'll hang here for a while !

Neil

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2008 08:11:30 »
If you have a cell with the start date/time then it's fairly straightforward. Excel can perform mathematical operations on dates & times.

I think all you need to do is format the result cell as numeric and enter the following formula:

=(NOW()-xx)/60.

It could be NOW() or TIME(), I'm not sure.
xx = the address of the cell containing the start date/time. The result will be in seconds so dividing by 60 converts it to minutes.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. It's a long time since I've used Excel. Click on help and check out the date/time functions.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2008 12:06:15 »
If you have a cell with the start date/time then it's fairly straightforward. Excel can perform mathematical operations on dates & times.

I think all you need to do is format the result cell as numeric and enter the following formula:

=(NOW()-xx)/60.

It could be NOW() or TIME(), I'm not sure.
xx = the address of the cell containing the start date/time. The result will be in seconds so dividing by 60 converts it to minutes.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. It's a long time since I've used Excel. Click on help and check out the date/time functions.

Thank you very much Dr Beave.

I will try this and let you know. As far s the help section of Excel, unless, I have totally missed it, then all I can find is about entering date orientated  data. I suppose I could just break it all down into minutes and re-enter it as a whole number and do my calculations from that, but (being a simpleton) I was hoping there was an easier way.

I will investigate your kind data and let you know.

thanks

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2008 12:06:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums