The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Long Before LHC Results Are Announced?  (Read 17522 times)

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
How Long Before LHC Results Are Announced?
« Reply #25 on: 22/09/2008 20:48:10 »
...makes for a much funnier expression. I can just image a damp squid!
...using neilep's Box Brownie I assume :-)

Why do they shut down for winter? Are they all going skiing?
Apparently it's partly to save on energy costs. I assume the electricity gets more expensive in the winter, and when they're pumping nearly 5MW of RF power into the ring (see a different thread), and probably a fair amount more to keep everything else (vacuum pumps, experimental equipment, air-con,...) running, that's got to add up to a big bill.

At UK domestic prices, 5MW 24/7 would be somewhere upwards of £17000 per day (£6M per year). Or, put another way, roughly equivalent to the salary of 200+ post-doc scientists to run the thing...

Another consideration is that such facilities require periodic maintenance and upgrades, and some of these put the machine out of action (or well outside optimum operating conditions) for many weeks owing to having warmed things up, or lost vacuum somewhere. It makes sense to shut the machine down for a few months per year and do all the work in one go.

Unlike most of academia, the facility will run 24/7 (I assume it's like the other big-science facilities), which means people work shifts. A 2-minute walk at 4am in December will take the skin off your face!
And no-one, especially all the international researchers will want to be working over Christmas. ;-)
« Last Edit: 22/09/2008 21:01:57 by techmind »

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22/09/2008 22:39:45 »
I guess that answers my question. To summerise they can't afford the lecky to power their ring and they don't want to lose the skin from their faces after a quicky in the cold. I get it!

I guess the final questions must be is it good value for money, research wise? What will we do with the data that comes from this? Will it make the world a better place?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24/09/2008 09:20:36 »

I guess the final questions must be is it good value for money, research wise? What will we do with the data that comes from this? Will it make the world a better place?

Most scientific advances eventually bring benefit - but most commonly to the rich, developd countries. As such, it is probable that any discoveries at the LHC will not "make the world a better place".

However, there is also the chance that something new & exciting will be discovered that could have profound implications for science as we currently understand it. If some theories are right and gravity becomes strong at 1TeV, then it is possible that a new source of sustainable energy could be achieved, although it would obviously take many years before any realistic implimentation comes to fruition (take the example of nuclear fusion reactors - after a squillion years of research & experiment we still haven't got a working model).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 24/09/2008 09:20:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums