The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is grape juice as beneficial to health as red wine?  (Read 3213 times)

Amy

Amy asked the Naked Scientists:

My name is Amy, I'm from New Jersey, USA. I am thoroughly enjoying both "Naked Scientists ENHANCED PODCASTS" and "The Naked Scientist" podcasts, which I have recently discovered on iTunes.

This morning I listened to an Enhanced Podcast from 06.11.19. Toward the beginning of the podcast, there was information about the benefits of a substance found in red wine, which, when given to mice in large quantities helped them gain less weight even on a high fat diet, and also seemed to give them more energy, and a longer life span.

My first question is whether this same substance, and the associated benefits, are also found in purple grape juice. From a scientific/health perspective, are there differences between red wine and grape juice besides the presence of alcohol?

Thank you so much. Keep up the great work!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 18/09/2008 12:02:21 by BenV »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Re: Is grape juice as beneficial to health as red wine?
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2008 11:51:04 »
I will drink a vat of red wine today and some grape juice at a later date and compare the results. I will have the answer for you in a couple of weeks, all supposing I ever sobber up from the red wine that is.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Is grape juice as beneficial to health as red wine?
« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2008 22:34:00 »
Unfortunately the answer is no; the chemicals that have antioxidant and blood pressure lowering effects are lipophilic (dissolve in fats and alcohols) and so alcohol is needed to help to extract the chemicals from the flesh and pips and make them dissolve in the wine.

This interview with Roger Corder explains the background to some of the health-beneficial effects of red wines:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/interviews/interview/636/

Chris

Offline SammySchwartz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2010 07:06:07 »
Red tea is also good for our health.Red tea is also available for good health.It is look like a refreashness in your life.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2010 07:06:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums