The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How far have I traveled?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline seanturvey

• First timers
    • View Profile
How far have I traveled?
« on: 18/09/2008 20:54:23 »
Given the orbit of planet earth around the sun, the orbit of our solar system in the galaxy, the rate of expansion of the universe and any other variables one can come up with, how far does earth travel in 1 solar year?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How far have I traveled?
« Reply #1 on: 25/09/2008 16:15:33 »
Well the earths movement is relative , remove everything else from the universe and the world does not move.

It impossible to answer you question, from which plaform must we calculate the movement?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
How far have I traveled?
« Reply #2 on: 25/09/2008 16:29:18 »
I have just moved several feet. Which is quite an achievement since I only have the two!!!

I concur with Alan, you need to express which of all the movements you wish to base this on.

The earths rotation on its axis, its orbit around the sun, the solar systems movement within the galaxy (if it does), the galaxy's rotation, the movement of the galaxy from the center of the universe, the rotation of the universe (If it rotates) the movement of the universe (if it is moving through space) and your trip down to the corner shop.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How far have I traveled?
« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2008 16:49:36 »
Don-1,

Yes Don, imagine we remove everything from the universe with the exception of two space vehicles.

The flash pass each other from opposite directions. It is simply impossible to know if they are both moving or only one is moving

Relativity applies movement

Take Care

Alan

The Naked Scientists Forum

How far have I traveled?
« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2008 16:49:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums