The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does laundry dried outdoors have a certain good smell?  (Read 8711 times)

Offline rahunenn

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why does laudry that has been dried outdoors have a certain good smell?
« Last Edit: 27/09/2008 10:36:03 by chris »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
My Mrs always says washing smells fresher when it has been dried outside. Being a bloke, I don't notice it!!!

I suppose it depends on where you live. Would it smell so good if you lived near a farm that had just spread slurry?

Offline turnipsock

• Beekeeper to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
I think if you dry laundry on a pulley or in a tumble drier to much, you get pleurisy.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Possibly clothing dried outdoors will have picked up odour from soil (via air)...

Geosmin, which literally translates to "earth smell", is an organic compound with a distinct earthy flavour and aroma, and is responsible for the earthy taste of beets and a contributor to the strong scent that occurs in the air when rain falls after a dry spell of weather. The human nose is extremely sensitive to geosmin and is able to detect it at concentrations as low as 5 parts per trillion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosmin

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think if you dry laundry on a pulley or in a tumble drier to much, you get pleurisy.

Hi Turnipsock then how come that my brothers have never got pluerisy and they all have tumble driers plus pullleys. lol

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I read somewhere that the smell is due to reaction of the cotton with peroxyacetyl nitrate ( a trace component of air in sunny conditions). But I can't find a reference.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I read somewhere that the smell is due to reaction of the cotton with peroxyacetyl nitrate ( a trace component of air in sunny conditions). But I can't find a reference.

Wouldn't a photochemical reaction with the detergent residue in the fabric be more likely, as it would not be dependent on the type of fabric.
Some detergents have fluorescent "brighteners" which convert UV into visible light, if this reaction has breakdown products they would be at their highest concentration when the clothes had dried in sunshine.

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
Possibly clothing dried outdoors will have picked up odour from soil (via air)...

Geosmin, which literally translates to "earth smell", is an organic compound with a distinct earthy flavour and aroma, and is responsible for the earthy taste of beets and a contributor to the strong scent that occurs in the air when rain falls after a dry spell of weather. The human nose is extremely sensitive to geosmin and is able to detect it at concentrations as low as 5 parts per trillion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosmin

I think you are correct on this one. It is the same smell, however the smell is different in other countries probably because the soil is different. It is something I noticed when living in Japan.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums