The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will I get the same effect on my PC if I use iMac specs?  (Read 3470 times)

Offline RyanGuyardo

• View Profile
iMac operates faster and does not lag. If I use all the specs in iMac eg. processor, graphic card, RAM ... Will I get the same operating performance as iMac in PC which runs on Windows?

Offline SeanMahoney

• First timers
    • View Profile
Will I get the same effect on my PC if I use iMac specs?
« Reply #1 on: 14/10/2008 20:35:23 »
Unfortunately no. It also matters how the programs that you are running are written to utilize those resources. This ranges from the Operating System to the individual application that you running.

In my experience a Mac will typically run faster than an equal PC since there are far fewer third party applications that are designed for the mac, so you are less likely to have a really optimized program. Of course, the trade off is that you get to choose from a LOT more programs and pay less for those same specs (more competition on PC HW makes them typically cheaper than a equally spec'd mac).

Sean Mahoney

Offline industry7

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2008 20:37:40 »
"iMac runs faster and does not lag"

looks like you answered your own question, lol.

Seriously though, it's difficult to compare Macs and PCs without getting into a lot of details.  For example, what specific applications do you plan on running?  What processor is in the specific Mac model you're interested  in?  I don't know how the absolute newest Macs stack up but whenever people talk about how much faster Macs are I'm reminded of my sophomore year in college (so this was some years ago).  I had just built a new PC for myself for about $500.  My friend had just bought a brand new Mac for about $2,000.  On paper, his machine had better specs in every way; faster processor, more memory, better video card, etc.  And yet, games that ran silky smooth on my machine were so choppy as to be almost unplayable on his machine.  Now of course I expect things to be different today, as the issue then was platform specific optimization, and I think compilers should be quite a bit better now.  But my main point is that if you want to know what system will be faster for you, you need to get into some more specifics.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2008 20:37:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums