The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do they get the blue bits in cheese?  (Read 5539 times)

blakestyger

How do they get the blue bits in cheese?
« on: 20/09/2008 14:22:49 »
I was reading recently a book by J-H Fabre (The 'father of entomology') from 1919 which discusses domestic animals and their products.
Roquefort cheese makers, he says, would put mouldy breadcrumbs into the mix which introduces the fungi/moulds that give it the blue veins. Does anybody know if this method persists or, if not, what they do now? 

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1 on: 20/09/2008 15:50:00 »
From Wikipedia:

"Blue (or bleu) cheese is cow's milk, sheep's milk, or goat's milk cheeses that has had Penicillium cultures added so that the final product is spotted or veined throughout with blue or blue-gray or blue-green mold.

Roquefort, Gorgonzola, and Stilton are, like wine, a protected designation of origin, meaning they can bear the name only if they have been made in a particular region in a certain country."

Roquefort was indeed made with moldy breadcrumbs, but now the mold is generally produced in a lab and injected.

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/09/2008 18:34:45 »
It is bacteria that is injected into blue cheeses such as
Roquefort also Stilton, Danish Blue etc.

Some years ago I saw a program about this skill.

blakestyger

« Reply #3 on: 20/09/2008 19:14:26 »
Thank you Evie, rosalind dna - that's interesting. I would like to have been able to taste those cheeses of 100 years ago that Fabre talks about, and compare them - I expect they would be quite different from their modern counterparts.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/09/2008 21:44:50 »

YUM!

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20/09/2008 23:08:05 »
Oh!!! that was a bit blue.

In Northern Spain they have special cheese houses where they put the cheese to mature.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/09/2008 09:16:55 »
I love the lovely pungent taste of blue cheese although I have never tasted Roquefort I bet I would like it indeedy!

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2008 15:46:14 »
I love the lovely pungent taste of blue cheese although I have never tasted Roquefort I bet I would like it indeedy!

HI Karen try ordering it from a delicatessen or your local supermarket or finding the name of a dairy in Europe and ask them to send you some. It is yummy and next time I buy some I'll think of you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roquefort

blakestyger

« Reply #8 on: 21/09/2008 20:16:01 »
I don't think they they much of have a cheese culture in the USA - when I was there the most sophisticated thing on offer was Philadelphia cream cheese and Monterey Jack, couldn't find any 'European type' cheese, [:0] But am prepared to be put right.

Great beef though - but no gravy. ???

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21/09/2008 20:20:50 »
I don't think they they much of have a cheese culture in the USA - when I was there the most sophisticated thing on offer was Philadelphia cream cheese and Monterey Jack, couldn't find any 'European type' cheese, [:0] But am prepared to be put right.

Great beef though - but no gravy. ???

We have tons of good cheeses, and also really good gravies.. Where did YOU eat???

blakestyger

« Reply #10 on: 21/09/2008 20:52:40 »
New York, bits of Pennsylvania, Niagara, Philadelphia and Washington - I must admit eating wasn't top of the agenda, seeing stuff with the kids was and they were young so we had eat places they would like. ::)

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: 21/09/2008 22:28:09 »
Most general grocery stores here in the States put the "fancy" cheeses in a different area than the "regular" cheese. The best place to find really good cheese, I have found, is at Trader Joe's or a similar organic food store. I got a stilton with dried apricots in it from there that was TO DIE FOR!!!

I'll agree that we don't have quite the "cheese culture" that many European countries do, though.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 21/09/2008 22:28:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums