The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Big Breakfast & The Incredible Shrinking Tasteless Bacon Trick  (Read 14083 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
I have to agree with Andrew.

your first mistake

We are being ripped off left right & center. It's all very well to have the ingredients printed on the package so you know what you're buying, but let's face it who has the time to study every packet they pick up from the supermarket? What's more who can read some of the print? It's so small you need to carry a magnifying glass to read it.

This sort of product should have a large red warning label on it.

WARNING~~~~~~~~THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS A HIGH LEVEL OF WATER & WILL
SHRINK TO LESS THAN HALF IT'S UNCOOKED SIZE DURING THE COOKING PROCESS

Is anyone stupid enough to think bacon will not shrink? do you really need a warning to tell you that?

Of course I expect meat to shrink when cooked, but I don't expect to pay for a package of water, when I was expecting bacon.

The food industry does inject water into some products (bacon & chicken for example) to give it the appearance of being more than is actually there.

This practice should be stopped. It's nothing short of fraud.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It's not fraud when they tell you that they do it, and you buy the product anyway.
Fraud involves dishonesty and they are perfectly clear about selling a questionable product.

paul.fr

Of course I expect meat to shrink when cooked, but I don't expect to pay for a package of water, when I was expecting bacon.

The food industry does inject water into some products (bacon & chicken for example) to give it the appearance of being more than is actually there.

This practice should be stopped. It's nothing short of fraud.

I think BC has already answered this. I would only add, that since you know all of that, why do you still complain?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
OK, fraud is a bit OTT, and I wouldn't buy the stuff anyway. It's usually the 'budget' brands that come up like this to give the appearance of being better value.

There have been a number of campaigns by consumer groups to outlaw this practice, because it is seen as taking advantage of the vulnerable. For some reason none of these campaigns ever seem to get anywhere.

I wonder why? (sarcastically)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
It is fraud when they put water on the packet without a percentage and tell everyone it is to make the product tenderised, when it is simply to sell people water. RIP OFF BRITAIN!

Paul adds why do you complain? Answer, because it pisses me off being ripped off with tasteless products that vanish before our eyes in the frying pan!

I complain also to warn others not to make the same mistake as we have done and if they do to send in their complaint to Sainsbury's complaints department and get a refund and replacement bacon. This is a victory for the shopper!

If a hundred people did the same, they would sit up and listen. If ten thousand did the same they would be very careful about what they try to sell their customers in future.

Paul and BC. You are both very loyal towards the supermarket for some reason?

The name Butcher's choice is not just plucked out of the blue. It is carefully contrived to lul people into thinking this bacon might actually taste and behave like the bacon our butchers used to sell us. Not quite fraud but certainly misleading

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What I am loyal to is not the supermarket (did you not see how I described their product?) I am loyal to the idea that adults should make their own decisions in the light of the available information and if they make a mistake they should accept responsibility for it.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
The mistake was Sainsbury's selling me inferior products. They paid for their mistake too. Following your adice in quote below, I should have accepted my mistake and lost my money and meal?

What I am loyal to is not the supermarket (did you not see how I described their product?) I am loyal to the idea that adults should make their own decisions in the light of the available information and if they make a mistake they should accept responsibility for it.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Blushes
I don't tolerate meat shrinking myself. You need to whip these people into shape!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums