The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes a planet's gravity?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline euthopianking

• First timers
    • View Profile
What causes a planet's gravity?
« on: 23/09/2008 18:28:46 »
Is there a certain material in the center of a planet that causes it? maybe a megnetic material? has there been a study on it?

Thank you.

(please explain easily first and then scientifically)
« Last Edit: 23/09/2008 18:51:00 by euthopianking »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What causes a planet's gravity?
« Reply #1 on: 23/09/2008 18:45:48 »
It is postulated that all bodies possesing mass have an attraction to each other, this is explained by their distortion of the space time continuum or alternatively by the exchange of Gravitons.
How the constituent particles of bodies acquire mass is under investigation by the LHC with which it is hoped that the Higgs particle will be discovered   

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2008 19:17:57 »
It has been observed (as oposed to just postulated) that, wherever the experiment is done carefully enough, it doesn't matter what material you use, the force of atraction is proportional to the mass.
What causes mass is a much more difficult question.

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2008 19:20:56 »
BC beat me to it but. . . .
The simple answer is that there's no need for anything special to exist inside a planet. Everything (particles of dust and clouds of gas included) attracts everything else. It's an extremely weak force compared with the force between electrically charged objects but it can be measured for large lumps of metal in the lab.

The details of how the gravity force actually works is a different issue and there is a long way to go. The LHC could help us get a bit closer to what's actually going on. But we are pretty sure that Everything attracts Everything Else, wherever they are - just a little bit but enough.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2008 19:33:25 »
It has not as yet been 'observed' that there is gravitational attraction between matter and anti matter but it is generally believed that there is.

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2008 20:00:21 »
PS I  would avoid giving too much credence to some New Theories you may read on these forums and others. The basic 'facts' (i.e. observations) agree with classical theory very well and Newton still works for virtually every circumstance.
God knows what the 'real answer' is. My opinion is that there are no such answers for anything.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2008 21:16:57 »
SC and BC take a look at this if you have a subscription it looks interesting.

http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg19926741.800-do-flyby-anomalies-reveal-new-physics-at-work.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=top1_head_Do fly-by anomalies reveal new physics at work?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/09/2008 09:01:18 »
Syhprum - I don't subscribe to that. Could you précis it for me & other poor mortals in the same category? Pretty please?  [:X]

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/09/2008 10:06:59 »
I don't have a subscription' I looked at the possibility £3.15 for the first 4 copies but I think once they have you signed up they can charge you what they like and keep deducting it from your bank account !

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/09/2008 17:55:44 »
I don't have a subscription' I looked at the possibility £3.15 for the first 4 copies but I think once they have you signed up they can charge you what they like and keep deducting it from your bank account !

That wouldn't surprise me.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 25/09/2008 17:55:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length