The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is maths important?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline erickejah

• Parking? I make my own parking spot!!
    • View Profile
Why is maths important?
« on: 23/09/2008 23:43:30 »
I need help to write my essay, I just need illustrations and common facts unseen by our culture that show how much maths is important. All your comments will be appreciated. thanks. ;)
« Last Edit: 25/09/2008 09:09:55 by chris »

Offline tanyacatherine

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Why is maths important?
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2008 07:48:54 »
Math word problems are frequently used to gauge students' ability to decipher pertinent information and also to assess students' ability to use their analytical and mathematics skills to solve problems. Math word problems are often used to relate mathematics to real life situations. For instance, Physics applications, finance applications,
-----------
Tanyaa
Mod Edit - Please do not put advertising in your signature - Thanks
« Last Edit: 24/09/2008 10:16:09 by BenV »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2008 17:02:18 »
Boolean algebra without which there would be no digital devices. e.g. computers, i-pod, X-box, etc.

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2008 17:04:05 »
I am a firm believer in students learning to do their own research, so instead of a straightforward answer, I will give you a link for some resources. Make sure you go all the way to the bottom to view the additional links they provide!   ;D ;D

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr148.shtml

Offline thelastman

• View Profile
Why is maths important?
« Reply #4 on: 26/09/2008 20:03:57 »
I use to look outside my window and wonder why about a lot of things.  Then I started studying math, particularly non-linear differential equations.  I no longer wonder why about a lot of things.  Not saying I know, just saying I no longer wonder why.

blakestyger

Why is maths important?
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2008 12:10:33 »
You need look no further than the early writings that have been deciphered from places like Crete where the Minoans were.

They had (among others) the script Linear B that was deciphered by Michael Ventris in the 1950s - and guess what? It was all about who owned what and who owed what.

Yes, it was the dead hand of accountancy, no hint of heroic doings or poetry. This is why you need maths - to make sure you pay no more tax than is due.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why is maths important?
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2008 12:10:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums