The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a local example of dark matter?  (Read 3574 times)

Christine Carey

Is there a local example of dark matter?
« on: 24/09/2008 17:01:04 »
Christine Carey  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi, Naked Scientists -

I enjoy your podcast weekly over here in New Hampshire in the United States.  Keep up the great work!

I had a question about dark matter.  I have heard several references to dark matter and how we know it is out there because we can see that our galaxy is expanding more rapidly than we would expect, and thus there is some sort of force / gravitational pull that we can't explain as coming from visible matter.  

Is there a smaller scale example of this?  In other words, is there some unexplained force here on earth that we experience in our daily lives that we could call "the dark matter effect,"  or is this possibly reflected more in mysterious world of subatomic particles and quantum physics?

Thanks.

- Christine Carey

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 25/09/2008 09:14:52 by chris »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a local example of dark matter?
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2008 17:58:59 »
Hi Christine. I wonder if you have confused dark matter with dark energy which is, confusingly, unrelated. The universe is expanding at an accelerating rate which is possibly due to dark energy. The galaxies are not expanding but there rate of rotation and apparant mass is possibly due to dark matter.

As far as is known there is nothing on earth that is a small scale example of either of these.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2008 18:40:06 »

Is there a smaller scale example of this?  In other words, is there some unexplained force here on earth that we experience in our daily lives that we could call "the dark matter effect,"  or is this possibly reflected more in mysterious world of subatomic particles and quantum physics?
"The exact nature of this dark energy is a matter of speculation. It is known to be very homogeneous, not very dense and is not known to interact through any of the fundamental forces other than gravity. Since it is not very dense—roughly 10−29 grams per cubic centimeter—it is hard to imagine experiments to detect it in the laboratory."

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2008 20:27:10 »
Can I make a plea for S.I units ?, fifty years ago I learnt to talk about capacitors, resistors Tesla's etc so why must we have this oldie worldie jargon ?
I know astronomers like their A.U's and light years and sometimes even Angstroms sneak in but for density surely the units are Kg/M^3

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 25/09/2008 09:17:28 »
When we say "local", on the scale of the Universe, local means the middle of the Milky Way galaxy (our galaxy), and measurements tell us that there is likely to be a big blob of Dark Matter sitting there.

You could say that the local dark matter effect is to give us a starry sky, because that dark matter is keeping the galaxy together.

Chris

Offline common_sense_seeker

• View Profile
    • Believers In Gravity Shielding (BiGS)
« Reply #5 on: 25/09/2008 09:45:52 »

Is there a smaller scale example of this?  In other words, is there some unexplained force here on earth that we experience in our daily lives that we could call "the dark matter effect,"

Hi Christine, that's a fantastic question. I believe that DM exists at the center of the Earth, the Moon and the stars! My reason for this is due to Professor Hapgood's analysis of the Siberian mammoth mystery. The only explanation of why they are found in near perfect condition, their meat being good enough to eat, is that a giant comet pulled on the DM of the Earth's core. The earthquakes liquified the soil, engulfing them, and then the entire landmass rose by over 6km into the freezing air temperatures above.

It all sounds fantastically unbelievable I'm sure. See "Gravity Problem Solved" in New Theories.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #6 on: 25/09/2008 13:35:10 »
CSS - will you please stop spamming other threads with your baseless theories

Offline common_sense_seeker

• View Profile
    • Believers In Gravity Shielding (BiGS)
« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2008 14:00:00 »
Not baseless. Many intelligent people agree with me that it's an interesting idea. I have proof.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25/09/2008 15:56:31 »
Can I make a plea for S.I units ?, fifty years ago I learnt to talk about capacitors, resistors Tesla's etc so why must we have this oldie worldie jargon ?
I know astronomers like their A.U's and light years and sometimes even Angstroms sneak in but for density surely the units are Kg/M^3

Ok.
10−29 g/cm3 = 10−26 kg/m3

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/09/2008 16:03:15 »
Not baseless. Many intelligent people agree with me that it's an interesting idea. I have proof.

Actually, I went into the past and freezed some siberian mammoths in such a way to perfectly preserve them for millions of years. (I usually go in those places in my time travels and I need to find something to eat  :)).
Prove me I'm wrong.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/09/2008 20:34:55 »

CSC,
 if you have proof then show it; otherwise shut up and go away.
I think that time travel or telepathy might be an interesting idea- That doesn't mean it has anything to do with reallity.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 25/09/2008 20:34:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums