The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why would be the effect of travelling at the speed of light?  (Read 1594 times)

Emilio J. Romero J.(EJRM)

Emilio J. Romero J.(EJRM)  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello, to all of you...great show... again (and again, and again).
I've heard that we cannot go as fast as the speed of Light. Even the beams at the LHC go at 99,99999% of the speed of light.

Ok then, why is it that we cannot travel or move at the same speed as light? And what would happen if --theoretically-- we manage to attain such speed in a spaceship; what would happen to the people and the stuff inside the ship? And what would happen when the ship deccelerated after having travelled at such speed?

Thank you

Dr. Emilio Romero Jouvin
Guayaquil, Ecuador

What do you think?

lyner

Why would be the effect of travelling at the speed of light?
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2008 19:26:25 »
And what would happen if --theoretically-- we manage to attain such speed in a spaceship
I think you mean "hypothetically" rather than "theoretically".
It really makes no sense to discuss what it would be like at a singularity.  In practical terms you can say it is impossible because it would take limitless amounts of energy.
But you can discuss the limit as speeds approach c.
You would see a high degree of red and blue shift as you sped away from and towards stars, which would imply that it was you who were moving rather than just one star. All the other 'well known' effects would occur. When you got back to where you started there would be a discrepancy between your clocks and the ones at home. Yours would not have moved as far and you would appear younger than expected. The faster and the longer your journey, the greater the effects.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/09/2008 10:47:16 »
Another disturbing problem for the passengers would the blue shifting of the CMBR photons that would appear as Gamma rays.
I am not sure how their mass would be affected, would they have problems moving about in the ship ?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2008 16:20:22 »
Another disturbing problem for the passengers would the blue shifting of the CMBR photons that would appear as Gamma rays.
I am not sure how their mass would be affected, would they have problems moving about in the ship ?
You mean the passenger's mass? No variation. And even if you were talking about relativistic mass, no difference the same. Think that in this moment you are travelling at near light's speed with respect to some cosmic ray particle...
Do you feel more massive now that you know it?  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2008 16:20:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums