The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Was Elspeth Not Born White ?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Was Elspeth Not Born White ?
« on: 26/09/2008 21:56:10 »
Dear Horseologists and people with sore throats affecting their vocal chords !

see Elspeth here ?

She's a fine looking filly isn't she ?

As far as horseys goes, she's a babe !....I'm a sheep...give me some steps and I'll do her !!

..However, I discovered something fascinating today. I heard that white horseys are not born white !...and that in fact the whiteness comes many years later ! [:0]

Why's that then ?..why was Elspeth not born white ?..what colour was she when she was born ?

I just don't know...I'm sitting here beside myself paralysed and entranced with the awe and wonder of what the answer must be !

Can ewe help release me ?

Thanking ewe

hugs and shmishes

Neil
Elpeth Enquirer
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2008 22:28:33 »
There is a difference between white and grey horses. Most horses that you would call white are actually grey.

Greys have black skin & dark eyes. White horses are quite rare and have pink skin with, usually, blue eyes.

Greys are born either bay or black (black being quite rare) and turn lighter each year as the greying increases. It takes 6-10 years for the greying to complete. Whites, on the other hand, are born white.

Pure white horses are rarer due to genetics. The 'W' gene is recessive. There are also genetic problems such as what is known as "Lethal White". That can occur when a horse has either "WW" or "OO" gene combinations. But I won't go into the complexities of equine colour genetics as it's a very complicated affair. However, if you wish to know more, I shall happily elucidate for your benefit  :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2008 18:24:23 »
There is a difference between white and grey horses. Most horses that you would call white are actually grey.

Greys have black skin & dark eyes. White horses are quite rare and have pink skin with, usually, blue eyes.

Greys are born either bay or black (black being quite rare) and turn lighter each year as the greying increases. It takes 6-10 years for the greying to complete. Whites, on the other hand, are born white.

Pure white horses are rarer due to genetics. The 'W' gene is recessive. There are also genetic problems such as what is known as "Lethal White". That can occur when a horse has either "WW" or "OO" gene combinations. But I won't go into the complexities of equine colour genetics as it's a very complicated affair. However, if you wish to know more, I shall happily elucidate for your benefit  :)

THANK EWE ETH...so, is a genetically pure white horse born white ?

great info...thanks

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/09/2008 18:50:12 »
That is correct Nielep, pure whites are born white. Most white horses you see are old nags. Their backs also start to sag with age too.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/09/2008 19:04:05 »
That is correct Nielep, pure whites are born white. Most white horses you see are old nags. Their backs also start to sag with age too.

...all of a sudden Elspeth is looking far less attractive !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 28/09/2008 19:04:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums