The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does 'liposome' prevent skin ageing?  (Read 3572 times)

Kenewang Mohlakwane

Does 'liposome' prevent skin ageing?
« on: 27/09/2008 11:11:06 »
Kenewang Mohlakwane  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi Chris

I've been looking for the skin range (JEAN BARE) that will complement my skin complexion. I'm 39yrs old-and have been using different skin ranges but they seem not to address my skin problems e.g development of wrinkles and pigmentation.

I recently did skin analysis and the beautician recommended a skin range that contains liposome in order to prevent anti-ageing & that the liposome will work in the deeper layer of the skin.

I'm a bit sceptical using the product due to lack of knowledge. Kindly advice if this will help and whether this will be worth while to use all my lifetime?

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Muriel Mohlakwane

What do you think?

Offline hecuter

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2008 04:47:52 »
To be perfectly honest, there is no product on the market today that will prevent the signs of aging.  Aging comes naturally, and you're 'problems' - wrinkles and pigmentation - will develop no matter what.  Most beauty creams or anti-wrinkle creams are in fact nothing more than a more serious moisturizer, which puffs the skin up with excess oils and water to make it swell, thereby seeming to diminish wrinkles.  Liposomes are vessicles made up of phospholipids that are used mainly as a carrier of drug products, to think of it really simply, think of a liposome as a small transport truck that can take certain materials into your cells.  I've never heard of them being used as a beauty product before, I don't even know if they could be used subcutaneously, and even if they could, they wouldn't really be much good by themselves unless they're transporting something.  So not to be rude, but I think your beautician was just trying to push a new product on you. 

The best thing you can do for your skin is avoid excessive exfoliation, prolonged sun exposure, and heavy use of cosmological products.  Use sunscreen frequently, as UV light is one of the most damaging threats to skin.

Personally, I think you should simply enjoy your body and the wrinkles that come with it - it's a sign that you've experienced life to it's fullest!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2008 07:50:32 »
Whatever creams, lotions & potions you may put on your skin to achieve that 'young fresh face' appearance will only be temporary. Although they may be absorbed into the skin, they cannot be utilised by the skin, and will wear or wash off.

Personally, I am very sceptical about the claims made by the cosmetic industry about the wonder products they advertise as being able to keep skin looking young. Yes some products can have the desired effect for the short term, providing the skin it is to be improving isn't too far gone already. Moisturising can help the skin, but only if you keep up the regime. Also, if you read some of the womens magazines, you will find that the expensive branded products are often no better than the cheaper 'own brand' ranges. I have heard some dermatologists say the best moisturiser is Vaseline petroleum jelly, and they don't come much cheaper than that!

Don't be fooled by the fantastic looks of certain celebs who advertise these products, the professional make-up artist can work wonders. I know, I've seen it done. Even some young models can have blotchy, pimply skin and the rings and bags that come from living it up, but after the make-up artist and hair stylist has finished with them, they look completely different. In fact, some times you would be forgiven for wondering if it was the same girl!

Remember, your beautician is in business to make a profit. They will need to satisfy you that they know their business and can show a satisfactory result, but this is often more a case of perception than reality. I have said petroleum jelly is a good moisturiser, that does not sound as good as liposmes, pentapeptides and the other wonder treatments. If I say to you use 'Superdrug' own brand 'Everyday Moisturiser' it does not sound as good as 'Roc' or 'L'oreal' does it?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2008 19:48:10 »
"there is no product on the market today that will prevent the signs of aging.  "
Not strictly true. If they didn't, they wouldn't be allowed to make the claim.
However, since any sunscreen will reduce aging (sunlight is really bad for your skin) all the manufacturerrs have to do is put a bit of sunscreen in their product and they can make that claim.
It's accurate, but it's not very informative.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2008 19:48:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums