The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cream  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Qing

• View Profile
Cream
« on: 07/02/2005 20:28:47 »
hello everyone.
well, i don't really know where I should post this question,so just leave it in this section.
I have just noticed an interesting phenomenon which I had never realised before, that is if you keep stiring a bottle of cream( those liquid ones you can get from Sainsbury's) for a long time, it becomes really thick and just sticks onto your stirrer.
this is interesting since nothing has been added to the cream, how come just simply by applying physical forces,a compound can become more stable? I always thought that a physical force will disrupt the intermolecular forces,causing the substance to be "loosened",but what's happening in this case? Can some one explain this to me please?
:)Qing

Qing

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Cream
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2005 20:31:21 »
I don't know the chemistry of it but I reckon you're half way to making some butter !!..also, there is cream that you can buy specifically for whipping up to make extra thick gooey naughty cream too....so, hopefully a passing cream expert will offer some low fat semi-skimmed advice.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Tronix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2005 02:12:24 »
i am no chemist, but it might be your mixing oxygen into it and further mixing the ingredients of the cream, distributing them more evenly, chemicals that likely bond pretty well. hey, milk turns into cream, and milk is nice and runny, where as cream is thicker. but hey, i dont know. hopefully, a better butter/cream expert will come around

Important quotes from important people

"Hey my chocolate bar melted!" Percy L. Spencer

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/02/2005 18:48:28 »
Qing made butter from the cream, by stirring it. There was also cream left behind, and also some whey.

Offline DrPhil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/02/2005 23:00:46 »
Cream is an emulsion. It's basically a suspension of small fat globules in water. Stirring breaks up emulsion. The fat (butter) congeals leaving behind the non-fat components (buttermilk).
« Last Edit: 25/02/2005 23:50:00 by DrPhil »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 25/02/2005 23:00:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums