The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Particle Accelerators....put my mind at ease !!  (Read 3737 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Particle Accelerators....put my mind at ease !!
« on: 09/02/2005 09:05:58 »
Hello,

I'm a naive layman called Neil.

Please put my mind at ease that with all these Particle Accelerators around the planet that we're not going to make another ' big bang'.

I know there's a giant round one being built and I was wondering in my happy lost innocence that with all these particles colliding with each other, is there no chance of it going ' wooooosh , lets create another universe bang'.....

well, obviously not eh ?....which is why these experiments happen all the time, but, from a certain point of view ( a lack of knowledge one )can you see how someone like me might think of a silly question like this ?

Ta

Neil (I'm off to work to deal with stuff that I DO know about)

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
Re: Particle Accelerators....put my mind at ease !!
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2005 12:18:50 »
There is the large Hadron Collider being built in CERN which is kinda of beastie
http://lhc-new-homepage.web.cern.ch/lhc-new-homepage/
I thought that the physicists worried about scary stuff happening also before they built the first colliderís, since they werenít utterly sure what would happen, i.e. the reason for building them :D? Heh that would be kind of cool if we started spawning universes, I think religion might have some big problems with it though.

wOw the world spins?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/02/2005 16:06:18 »
Would we know? It would be another universe. Actually, cosmological accelerators, like black holes, are far more powerful than laboratory accelerators, and we haven't observed any new universes popping out, if you don't count the black hole itself as another universe.

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2005 02:01:30 »
I'm just waiting for some religious nut to come along and say "only god can create a universe".

Online chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2005 08:12:47 »
Michio Kaku spoke in Cambridge last week, and on the radio show on sunday 30th January. He works on parallel universes and theorises that at the end of each black hole is a white hole - black holes spawn bigs bangs and new universes.

Here's the audio link for the show containing his interview - he's on close to the start of the show :

http://tnsstore.caret.cam.ac.uk/audio/Naked_Scientists_Show_05.01.30.zip

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2005 13:27:05 »
Thanks everybody ...well, I'm relieved because as a firm believer in empirical study I have been running round my house as fast as I can bashing glass marbles into each other and I can safely announce the birth of two happy Universes/black holes, one in my lounge and one in the kitchen. The kitchen one is  particularly useful as it's a great waste disposal unit, the lounge one is a nuisance as it blocks out the tv:)....

Thanks too,for the great link Chris

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'
« Last Edit: 11/02/2005 13:30:36 by neilep »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 11/02/2005 17:28:20 »
Wouldn't any universes created be small if we could observe them otherwise they would pop out of our universe surely otherwise its just a fold in our own????

wOw the world spins?

Offline gsmollin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/02/2005 05:04:19 »
I think Neil's concern was that some kind of explosion would occur. Perhaps, one of cosmic proportions. If we postulate that we are creating another universe and it is unobservable from ours, then we can just use Occam's razor to remove it.

Actually, there is a real hazard from the accelerators: Radiation. At a major university some years ago, a contractor's trailor was parked behind the target of the particle accelerator. It was about 300 meters from the target. The contractors who worked in that trailer became sick from radiation leaking through the target. If you work around high energy accelerators, beware of the radiation, and be sure to wear a film badge.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 13/02/2005 05:04:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums