The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Does The Cerebrum Do ?  (Read 6291 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Does The Cerebrum Do ?
« on: 06/10/2008 13:31:20 »
Dear Cerebrumologists, experts in brains and people who have them !

As a sheepy, I am course fortunate to be in possession of my very own brain !

Look..here it is *flips boot lid, latch open , scoops brain out*

Now that's a quality brain is it not ?..as far as brains go..it's a looker !..it's mine..all mine  *morose unhinged laughter*..mwahahawwwhahaaaaw !!

But large parts of my cerebral cortex are ' silent areas', that is to say, they give neither sensation nor movement when stimulated by an electric current. I can chop em out and still live. I would not become demented (well more than I already am :)). My personality might change though, but, providing the motor sensory areas are left intact, it is amazing what large amounts of the cerebral cortex can be sacrificed without any marked changes taking place in behaviour.

Has our massive cerebrum become too large ? a sort of overgrown fungus which is merely filling up space in my head ? Or do I have more brain than i know what to do with ? It is generally understood that  we utilize just a fraction of our available brainpower yes ?...so is it that the cerebral cortex wields powers and potentials that we have just not developed ?

We reach the end of our lives with a brain only partly utilized...the other organs fail but the cerebrum is still youthful

Why's that then ?

whajafink ?

Hugs & Shmishs

Neil
Bothered About My Brain

mwah mwah mwah mwah
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps: Poo !!..can't fit it back in !!...think I'll snort it instead !!

« Last Edit: 06/10/2008 13:33:14 by neilep »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2008 14:54:35 »
It is generally understood that  we utilize just a fraction of our available brainpower yes ?

It is a widely believed myth that we only use a fraction of out brain.
If this were true JFK would have had a longer career  :)

Has our massive cerebrum become too large ?

We could have become too intelligent for our own good,
 e.g. the invention of atomic/biological weapons, or internal combustion engine, (causing anthropogenic global warming),
 could cause our extinction.

We reach the end of our lives with a brain only partly utilized...the other organs fail but the cerebrum is still youthful

At least 5% of those over 85 have dementia.
« Last Edit: 06/10/2008 15:39:10 by RD »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2008 15:25:33 »
Dear Cerebrumologists, experts in brains

A British neurologist who wrote textbooks on the subject was called "Walter Brain", i.e. Dr Brain the brain doctor.

(His books should have been entitled "Walter on the brain:) )
« Last Edit: 06/10/2008 15:30:05 by RD »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2008 16:07:07 »

(His books should have been entitled "Walter on the brain:) )

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/10/2008 16:31:53 »
It is generally understood that  we utilize just a fraction of our available brainpower yes ?

It is a widely believed myth that we only use a fraction of out brain.
If this were true JFK would have had a longer career  :)

Has our massive cerebrum become too large ?

We could have become too intelligent for our own good,
 e.g. the invention of atomic/biological weapons, or internal combustion engine, (causing anthropogenic global warming),
 could cause our extinction.

At least 5% of those over 85 have dementia.

Thank ewe Mr RD.....but this does not explain the relevant redundancy of the cerebellum.

People may grow old with dementia (and as you say it's only 5%...quite small).....this means that 95% do not have dementia.

It's the cerebellum that I am particularly interested in , in this case...it's takes up what seems to be a lot of space !!...for what appears to be little brain power !!...that's expensive scaffolding !!..or perhaps padding ? ;)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2008 09:49:50 »
I was always under the impression that it kicked in when other more active areas of the brain were permanently injured and people are able that area of the brain to relearn the things the other portion can no longer hold and kind of start over using unused areas of the cerebellum. Am I mistaken in this...???

Offline wannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2008 10:59:16 »
if the discussion relates to what the cerebrum is all about i have little to add here. if it relates to the cerebellum, i would say that it functions as a sub-system to the cerebrum in that it allows for the greater precision in all motor functions (which include such higher motor functions as talking so it is not excluded from higher intellectual functions). in animals such as birds one sees that nearly the entire brain is cerebellar-like for they function mostly motorically.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2008 10:59:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums