The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is washing hair in cold water better?  (Read 16920 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Is washing hair in cold water better?
« on: 07/10/2008 01:09:35 »
Today I was told that washing your hair in cold water made it grow faster, made it shinier and also kept it from getting frizzy.  Is this true and if so, why?

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/2008 06:33:53 »
There is no evidence to suggest that anything you do to exposed (read - dead) hair will make it grow faster.

What *might* happen is the massage of the scalp while washing promotes blood flow stimulating the follicles, but that would happen regardless of the temp of the water. (actually come to think of it, hot water would assist that process more than cold.)

Shinier - hmm don't know.. some people swear by eggs, beer, mayonnaise and countless other concoctions to make hair appear shinier.
I believe that many commercial products simply coat the hair to make it smoother and therefore look shinier... 

keep it from getting frizzy - maybe. Hot water might cause the wet hair to stretch a little more than cold.. interesting.

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/2008 12:37:11 »
Washing hair in rainwater is better, requires only 20% of normal amount of detergent and leaves the hair in great condition.

Andrew

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 07/10/2008 16:43:50 »
Washing hair in rainwater is better, requires only 20% of normal amount of detergent and leaves the hair in great condition.

Andrew

I think this has to do with the water hardness of your normal tap water. Rain water is generally softer than tap, but I have been places where the tap water is extremely soft, such as Kentucky. In Las Vegas, where I used to live, there were a lot of minerals in the water, making it very hard, and it would leave your hair a bit more coarse and stripped of natural oils.

I knew a lot of people who installed water softeners for their tap water, and that helped a lot.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2008 12:53:51 »
Sorry Evie just found your reply.

Read somewhere that hair is curlier washed in rainwater, Jude has noticed this.

Have also noticed washing dishes, cutlery and glasses it sparkles without any smearing from salt residue after drying.

We bathe, shower, wash, drink, washup, laundry and flush the toilet with rainwater. Drinking it is amazing, such a clean naturally refreshing taste. And free.

Andrew

I think this has to do with the water hardness of your normal tap water. Rain water is generally softer than tap, but I have been places where the tap water is extremely soft, such as Kentucky. In Las Vegas, where I used to live, there were a lot of minerals in the water, making it very hard, and it would leave your hair a bit more coarse and stripped of natural oils.

I knew a lot of people who installed water softeners for their tap water, and that helped a lot.

lyner

« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2008 13:25:28 »
I understood that drinking softened water is not good for you because of the raised Sodium levels.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/11/2008 20:22:55 »
Very true. In fact, drinking bottled mineral water has a diuretic effect causing greater thirst. Great for selling water, not so good for blood pressure.

Softened water like you state is adding more salts to the body, so drinking it will cause the arteries to fur up just like a kettle leaves behind the salts after evaporation.

Rainwater on the other hand is a completely different experience, contains almost no solutes, is highly oxygenated and feels so good to drink.

I understood that drinking softened water is not good for you because of the raised Sodium levels.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 18/11/2008 20:22:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums