The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Does Frowning Use So Many Muscles Compared To Smiling ?  (Read 9232 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Check me out !

I just let down all the tyres (US Translation service: 'Tyres' = ' Tires' ..sheesh !!) on my neighbours car !..He loves me doing this !...He keeps on saying  "I'll get you..."...he never really finishes the sentence but I am sure he means "I'll get you a present "

As ewe can see it makes me smile the joy I bring him !

I'm pleased it makes me smile because it seems if I was to frown, I'd be using a lot more muscles...why's that then ?...and how many muscles does it take to frown and then smile ?....surely a smile is just an upside down frown !!

What about Blinking ?..does blinking use a lot of muscles?..what about blinking one eye ?..half as many as blinking two eyes ?..or more because you have to keep one eye open and thus use muscles to do this ?

Oh I don't know..

do ewe ?

Thanks very much

Hugs & Shmishes

neil
Eye Smiler
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline rosalind dna

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why Does Frowning Use So Many Muscles Compared To Smiling ?
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/2008 13:45:00 »
Neil I don't know about the comparison of smiling to frowning only I prefer to do the former (of course).

But you do not blink with 1 eye, it's called winking ;)

Photo for the next time that our mischevious Sheepy/Neilep lets down the tyres please LOL
(Joke)

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/2008 15:32:51 »
Here are a couple of discussions on this very topic! The second one also lists all of the muscles in the face, some of which I'm sure are involved in winking, blinking, and eye smiling.  :D

http://www.snopes.com/science/smile.asp

http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/01/muscles-to-smile-muscles-to-frown.html
...I'll defer to Dr. David Song, a plastic surgeon and Associate Professor at the University of Chicago Hospitals, who was interviewed for a Straight Dope article: Does it take fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown? Counting only the muscles that make significant contributions, he concludes that smiling takes one more muscle than frowning (12 vs. 11). That doesn't necessarily mean that smiling is harder to do. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I suppose you could compare the masses of "smiling muscles" vs. "frowning muscles" to get a rough estimate of energy consumption (assuming the muscles all consume energy at the same rate per unit mass).

By the way, I LOVELOVELOVE that sheepy! So cute!!!  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 07/10/2008 16:05:26 by Evie »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/10/2008 18:10:26 »
Neil I don't know about the comparison of smiling to frowning only I prefer to do the former (of course).

But you do not blink with 1 eye, it's called winking ;)

Photo for the next time that our mischevious Sheepy/Neilep lets down the tyres please LOL
(Joke)

You're right...it's called a wink ..Thank Ewe Rosalind !
« Last Edit: 07/10/2008 18:12:20 by neilep »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/10/2008 18:12:07 »
Here are a couple of discussions on this very topic! The second one also lists all of the muscles in the face, some of which I'm sure are involved in winking, blinking, and eye smiling.  :D

http://www.snopes.com/science/smile.asp

http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/01/muscles-to-smile-muscles-to-frown.html
...I'll defer to Dr. David Song, a plastic surgeon and Associate Professor at the University of Chicago Hospitals, who was interviewed for a Straight Dope article: Does it take fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown? Counting only the muscles that make significant contributions, he concludes that smiling takes one more muscle than frowning (12 vs. 11). That doesn't necessarily mean that smiling is harder to do. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I suppose you could compare the masses of "smiling muscles" vs. "frowning muscles" to get a rough estimate of energy consumption (assuming the muscles all consume energy at the same rate per unit mass).

By the way, I LOVELOVELOVE that sheepy! So cute!!!  :D :D :D

Thank Ewe for the wonderful links...great info !

Glad ewe like the piccys...please enjoy it !..and thank ewe again Evie

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2008 09:34:02 »
Very cute Sheepy!

I would think a frown would use the lower jaws muscles whereas the smile would use the upper and lower at least thats how it feels!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2008 09:34:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums