The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the reaction between hydrochloric acid and aluminium?  (Read 11547 times)

Offline Dege

• View Profile
I was doing the old "hydrochloric acid with the can in it" trick,and i am pretty sure that it produces aluminum chloride.
what i was wondering was how to get the alcl ( aluminum chloride )out of the solution as a solid? you see when the reaction takes place the alcl is in a liquid form and i am wondering how to get it into its solid form and extract it from the solution?

please help, thanks allot
« Last Edit: 13/10/2008 08:25:14 by chris »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is the reaction between hydrochloric acid and aluminium?
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2008 11:34:41 »
I was doing the old "hydrochloric acid with the can in it" trick,and i am pretty sure that it produces aluminum chloride.
what i was wondering was how to get the alcl ( aluminum chloride )out of the solution as a solid? you see when the reaction takes place the alcl is in a liquid form and i am wondering how to get it into its solid form and extract it from the solution?

please help, thanks allot

To say "when the reaction takes place the aluminum chloride is in a liquid form" is not correct, you should say "it's in water solution".

To make AlCl3 out of the water solution is quite impossible, you get aluminum oxide or an hydroxide-chloride Al(OH)x(Cl)3-x; if you want AlCl3 you have to (for example) make Al react with gaseous hydrochloric acid HCl or gaseous chlorine Cl2.

Offline Dege

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2008 18:25:13 »
OK, thanks allot. now if you can would you tell me how to go about doing that. the process i mean.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2008 19:17:52 »
OK, thanks allot. now if you can would you tell me how to go about doing that. the process i mean.
Download the book "The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments" as .pdf file here:
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/08/05/banned-book-the-golden-book-of-chemistry-experiments.htm
then look at pages 34 and 35 (how to make chlorine gas in laboratory).
It's a wonderful book.
Good reading!

Offline Dege

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/10/2008 03:15:16 »
ok thanks alot i am almost done. so is there any other books that you recomend

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 14/10/2008 03:15:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums