The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the most calorifically dense food?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
What is the most calorifically dense food?
« on: 13/10/2008 17:50:55 »
I guess there are special formulations for patients who require energy, but does anyone know which foodstuff has the greatest calorie density - McD's shakes aside!

Thanks!

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2008 18:18:01 »
Not too sure but Kendal Mint Cake has been used as a source of energy for a long time. Used on polar expeditions and by Shackleton and also by mountain climbers. Hillary used it on his conquest of Everest.

I think the main energy ingredient is glucose which is widely used today for a quick energy source.

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2008 18:24:26 »
I don't know but, as I am watching my weight, I steer clear of Mars Bars!

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2008 21:09:46 »
Cooking oil must rate pretty high, but I prefer Kendal mint cke.

blakestyger

« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2008 23:26:47 »
Pure lard must be pretty high on the list.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/10/2008 01:54:19 »
I guess there are special formulations for patients who require energy, but does anyone know which foodstuff has the greatest calorie density - McD's shakes aside!

A milk shake made from seal milk would be particularly calorific...
To compensate for the short lactation period, the fat content of phocid milk is higher than in any other species of marine mammal (4560% fat). 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinniped

The nutters who walk to the poles eat suet to provide them with the huge amount of calories required...
A clear sign that we are working hard is that we are each consuming 7000 calories a day & still tightening our waist bands a notch or two!! Our diet consists of pasta and pemmican. The pemmican is a mixture of suet, ground meat and wheat grain, based on an ancient Antarctic recipe for SLEDGE DOGS! Our pemmican mix was made more palatable by a French chef.
During the day for our 3 breaks we eat high fat raw bacon, nuts and an aptly named "Zero" chocolate bar (best eaten cold!). We also eat our special secret recipe chocolate truffles that give off 700 calories each.

The most disturbing factor of our diet is that both Richard & I crave our 125 grams of pure butter eaten neat daily.
To aid digestion and help the body transfer the fat content to energy we are taking an enzyme called Lipase. The evening cocktail of hot whole milk and maple sugar is a well looked forward to treat.
http://www.antarctica.org/old/FR/Expes/Expes_Arctiques/2006/dickinson/pag/dickinson.htm
« Last Edit: 14/10/2008 01:57:17 by RD »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/10/2008 10:25:49 »
Thanks for the replies! Kendal mint cake I think was used extensively in Himalayan activities, but only as a toboggan to get back down again!

I remember the pemmican from various readings - I guess there comes a time where you crave calories so much that you don't really care how you get them. Those 700 cal "truffles" sound fantastic!

But, how about untreated and raw foodstuffs? Avocado is pretty high - are there any others that you would find and eat from their natural state? I would probably not include seal milk here - is that gold-top extra? How about whale blubber?

Offline Emilio Romero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/10/2008 19:36:47 »
..."we are each consuming 7000 calories a day & still tightening our waist bands a notch or two..."

Wow! Really? it takes running a mile to burn 100 calories... Are they running/walking 70 miles every day? Or does is the cold have a preponderant role in the matter?
 ???
Emilio

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #8 on: 14/10/2008 21:17:23 »
Deep-fried Mars bars?

In the wiki article about Mike Stroud, who attempted to cross the antartic on foot with Sir Ranulph Fiennes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Stroud_(physician)) it says
Drinking isotope labelled water and collecting regular blood and urine samples, Stroud discovered that their energy expenditure exceeded 10,000 calories per day, significantly greater than the human digestive system is capable of absorbing

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #9 on: 14/10/2008 22:33:30 »
I have no idea where they stand relative to glucose, but I've heard that nuts (peanuts, walnuts, etc...) are pretty high-calorie food. Recommendations that people who desperately need calories add grated nuts to their food etc.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15/10/2008 20:58:38 »
Fats have the highest calorie content by weight, roughly twice that of glucose. Nuts are often full of fat.

Offline wannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/10/2008 18:24:41 »
to break it down to the simplest terms: fat has 9 cals/gram, carbo & protein each have 5.
so, any foodstuff being pure fat has the highest cals per gram no matter how you cut it.
In terms of edibility, carbos are most favoured for all day long sucking!!(like thru a straw, like soft drinks)  and therefore carbos rate as supplying greatest amount of cals/day in the modern environment.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 17/10/2008 18:24:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums