The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Virtual life: DNA as code?  (Read 5316 times)

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
Virtual life: DNA as code?
« on: 13/02/2005 20:44:03 »
I have an idea...though to do it you probably need alotta knowledge of a computer language and some decent knowledge about biology.

If you could first code a simple set of physical laws about valence electrons and so forth so that molecules and atoms would combine and behave just like in the real world (cant be that hard) and then got the DNA (or rna) base map of some rather simple organisms genetic info (you know? the ACTG bases that are divided up into codons of 3 to determine what amino acids are made and how theyre strung together) and told the computer how to read these and assigned the cooresponding amino with the correct physical properties to the right codon, what would happen?

Hypotheticly it should behave just as it would in reality if its done right, creating the organism. Wouldnt this be an interesting experiment?

Who knows you could create a virtual human being! or an actual bacteria on your computer.

The only problems i can see with this is that the DNA looks to get resources from some where so you would probably have to make code to "feed" it what it needs.

This could be used to test how dna works. You could cut peices out easily and run the program and see what happens. You could modify peices and see what happens.

I am very new to programing and am no where near qualified enough to test this but i would love to see what happens if somebody wanted to try. Please if you do send me your results of what happens!

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Virtual life: DNA as code?
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2005 09:00:07 »
Mmm - people are working towards modelling cells like this so that we can create a virtual petri dish - rather than having to use real cells or real animals to do an experiment.

This is in its infancy, but will become big business. Labs are now building virtual 'hearts' - termed cardiosomes or physiosomes - to test how drugs and interventions will affect cardiac function, and pharmacologists created 'sequinavir' - an anti-HIV drug - by using the genomic sequence of HIV to produce a model of the part of the virus they wanted to target, and then designing a drug tailored to that component.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2005 21:51:57 »
Check this out:

http://www.discover.com/issues/feb-05/cover/

This article talks about modeling life forms in the computer and watching them evolve for different environments.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2005 23:15:06 »
Ive always been fascinated by evolving code and stuff like that. Yet thats slightly different than my idea, my idea uses actual DNA and uses it to create the comlecules and such. However, after some thought about my DNA simulation idea i doubt its going to work (to many things we dont know right now)
 However i still would like to make a realistic atomic and sub atomic particle simulator (i plan to post on the physics board now, since it no longer has to do with biology really)
My plan is try to reconstruct an atom from the ground up using what we know about sub atomic particles. Im definatly going to have to post a help thread in physics forum though since i truly dont know that much about sub atomic particles. I was thinking about starting with the first step down from atoms (protons, neutrons and electrons) and trying to program sucessful laws to govern those and to see if i could contruct atoms from them. Then, if that works, i could use these newly created, ultra realistic atoms to attempt to recreate life and such.
Well im gonna stop bothering the Bio forums with this sicne now its more kinda physics (though at the most basic sense all forms of science are physics) Ok check there if you want to help me out lol!
« Last Edit: 15/02/2005 05:06:47 by realmswalker »

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2005 20:50:46 »
the idea you are suggesting is basically how current protien modeling programs work.  they are programed with all of the physical properties of how particles interact with eachother, then you enter the sequence of amino acids for your protien (or hypothetical protien) and it figures out how those molecules/atoms interact with themsleves (folding) and other protiens (binding, etc.)

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2005 00:37:32 »
o cool, so someone basically stole my idea already then...CRAP.
o well lol

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2005 01:21:17 »
well..... lord knows that none of these programs are perfect yet!!  there are just SO many variables in the physical and biological world to accurately take in account for everything.  we would all love ones that are more accurate.  if this is an area that interests you, i'd definately look into it as a career option.  (assuming that you may some day be interesed in acareer and are not an 89 year old billionaire on his/her deathbed)

Are YOUR mice nude? ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2005 01:21:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums