The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do you pull faces when concentrating ?  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Do you pull faces when concentrating ?
« on: 15/10/2008 04:04:29 »
Well do You?

I was sitting here typing and realized that I indeed do ! I suck in the top of my lips and Jaws when concentrating.. ie writing drawing etc...I do not do it when crocheting or reading... or such but when writing..

My Baby sister Pam always puckered her lips like a fish and stuck her tongue out with the sides curled up the whole time she drew or wrote!

Is it a creative thing or are we all just weirdos... I see other people do it all the time!

I was wondering about you all.. what faces do you Pull while concentrating?

Offline DanilovesHim

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2008 20:44:32 »
Not everyone but nearly everyone pull faces when reading, writing, typing or just doing any activity, this is called a habit because you can stop yourself from doing it but you just  do it anyway without noticing.
However some do not, which does not mean they are ab-normal/different it just means they do not have a habit when struggling or new to something.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2008 21:56:48 »
Welcome to the forum Danil.. Thanks for posting and the information.. And your right about the habit part as I can stop it if I remember I am doing it.. It is embarrassing and I feel self conscious if I catch myself doing it!

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2008 01:29:31 »
Ages ago, it may have even been years, there was a story about people who pull faces and/or stick out their tongue while concentrating or performing a difficult task.  My google search revealed nothing, but I'm pretty sure I didn't just make it up.

The conclusion was something along the lines of the actions helping one to concentrate. Certainly there has been some evidence to suggest that chewing gum helps one to think...

Sorry it's a bit vague, but I hope someone with better recall than I can confirm this idea.. or at least confirm that I am a nutter fabricating stories.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2008 14:44:50 »
I stare blankly into space - and not just when I'm concentrating  :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2008 14:44:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums