The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Facts relationg to scientist who believe in God according to survey  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Scientists' Belief in God Varies Starkly by DisciplineBy Robert Roy Britt, LiveScience Staff Writer

About two-thirds of scientists believe in God, according to a new survey that uncovered stark differences based on the type of research they do.

The study, along with another one released in June, would appear to debunk the oft-held notion that science is incompatible with religion.

Those in the social sciences are more likely to believe in God and attend religious services than researchers in the natural sciences, the study found.

The opposite had been expected.

Nearly 38 percent of natural scientists -- people in disciplines like physics, chemistry and biology -- said they do not believe in God. Only 31 percent of the social scientists do not believe.

In the new study, Rice University sociologist Elaine Howard Ecklund surveyed 1,646 faculty members at elite research universities, asking 36 questions about belief and spiritual practices.

"Based on previous research, we thought that social scientists would be less likely to practice religion than natural scientists are, but our data showed just the opposite," Ecklund said.

Some stand-out stats: 41 percent of the biologists don't believe, while that figure is just 27 percent among political scientists.

In separate work at the University of Chicago, released in June, 76 percent of doctors said they believed in God and 59 percent believe in some sort of afterlife.

"Now we must examine the nature of these differences," Ecklund said today. "Many scientists see themselves as having a spirituality not attached to a particular religious tradition. Some scientists who don't believe in God see themselves as very spiritual people. They have a way outside of themselves that they use to understand the meaning of life."

Ecklund and colleagues are now conducting longer interviews with some of the participants to try and figure it all out.

Offline Evie

• "Back off man...I'm a Scientist."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Hm, I don't know. I think I would have expected these results. I mean, political science? I don't see why anyone in that field would have a problem believing in god, and if they have political aspirations, they almost have to say that they do, even if they don't.  ;)

Anthropology I could see being a "social science" field that may influence your belief in god, since you are very aware of the MANY religions that are both current and ancient in the world's cultures.

I sometimes marvel that one of my coworkers is an adamant believer in creation, as far as to research ways to debunk evolution and have periodic conversations with those of us who believe in evolution. And what does he do for a living? Study an endangered species of fish that has been around for 70 million years (pallid sturgeon). Ironic, no?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Evie

None of these scientist believe in literal biblical creation or the silly notion that the world and the universe is a mere six thousand and years old.

The just believe in the god of their understanding

Offline Evie

• View Profile
    • My Website
I didn't think the study had anything to do with creationism, but was just providing a semi-related personal anecdote.

Unless you were administering the study and knew the personal beliefs of each person who participated, though, I don't think you can make the blanket statement that none of those "scientists" believe in creation. Do you know for certain that none of them believe in a 6000 year old universe?

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Evie

Do you know for certain that none of them believe in a 6000 year old universe?

If they believe that nonsense (non-science) then they cannot by any stretch of credulity be called scientists

Alan

Offline Evie

• View Profile
    • My Website
Unfortunately, as I was saying about my coworker (who is employed by a state agency as a fisheries biologist), there are plenty of scientists who do still believe in a 6000 year old universe.

Also, as I was trying to point out, this survey seems to use a broad interpretation of the word "scientist." they include all of the social sciences, which could include any of the following fields:

Anthropology
Economics
Education
Geography
History
Law
Linguistics
Political science
Psychology
Social Work
Sociology

With all (or some) of those included, I can well see how they got results contrary to what they expected.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length