The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will the Earth change its direction of rotation in 2012?  (Read 25092 times)

Chandrashekar Saligram

Chandrashekar Saligram  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hello Chris,

I had a question on the hype around "Pole Shift & Pole Reversal in
2012". Is there any scientific basis for the purported fact that the earth
will start rotating in the opposite direction, together with a huge disaster of unknown proportions?

I would appreciate if you could handle this question in your next program and throw some light on what your team of experts thinks about this.

Thank you.
Chandrashekar Saligram (Chandra)
Bangalore.

What do you think?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Will the Earth change its direction of rotation in 2012?
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2008 13:39:12 »
The earth's axis does move very slowly taking 25,000 years for the pole to move round the sky making vega the pole star in 12,000 years time.  Even the Greeks knew this from observations made more than two thousand years ago.  There are other smaller changes but you can rest assured that there will be no violent changes of the earth's axis.  Even a major asteroid impact like one at the KT boundary that created a crater more than 100 miles across would not be able to significantly change the earth's axis  there is just far too much energy stored in the rotation of the earth like a big flywheel.

In the past what was described as the earth's axis changing is now put down to continental drift which can be measured taking place now.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2008 15:58:01 »
There is some evidence that that major disruption to the rotation of both Venus and Uranus occurred at an early stage in the formation of the Solar system.
This needs a collision with another planet of comparable size such as probably led to the formation of our moon.
It is quite certain that there is nothing coming our way that will get here by 2012.

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/10/2008 16:00:36 »
Perhaps Chandrashekar Saligram is thinking about magnetic pole reversal, which has happened many times in the earth's history?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2008 16:05:34 »
geomagnetic reversal, when the strength of the Earth's magnetic field decreases and then returns a few thousand years later with the north and south magnetic poles reversed.

Looking back in the geological record it is clear that on average such events occur about every 250,000 years.
However, it has been 750,000 years since the last reversal - so we are certainly overdue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2889127.stm
« Last Edit: 19/10/2008 16:45:08 by RD »

Offline dentstudent

• Neilep Level Member
  • FOGger to the unsuspecting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2008 16:13:37 »
I have a (slightly depressing) feeling that the 2012 part is linked to the Mayan calendar?

Also, see this.....

http://www.survive2012.com/geryl1.php

I like a good laugh.....

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2008 23:20:57 »
It seems that the boys at CERN will start spilling out their dreaded mini black holes in the spring so me might not have to wait until 2012 for the end of the world.

lyner

« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2008 23:45:57 »
I am about to invest in a lot of rope and tent pegs to stop the house ending up in next door's garden during the changeover.

Post by liter click to view.

Offline liter

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/07/2010 20:49:54 »
Shrunk
brother ,Professionaly I m a computer engineer n m involved in the software development of changing of earths dipole moment and magnetism,n we hv came across some serious matter ,when I was in 12 I studied in my 12th physics the difeerence between geographical pole n north pole is 23 degree,now its 26 degree acc to our recent finding ,it has totally blowed our minds away n it is going so.... ,ACC to the 3 dimensional theory f(force),B(magnetic filed) and I current ,if the magnetic flux continues to change it will change the current and ultimately the flow of the liquid core and then its axial motion,this is how what will be happening but the things r happening in reversal order ,i.e liquid flow above between lower mantle  and solid core is slowing and is changing its direction,If that happens I m pretty sure the liquid core will go in retro direction ,changing the axial motion of earth ,its a matter of time we will see  sun rising from west but not for long it will change its course and will be back to its original motion,so hurray ,the same thing happened with mars on 30 july , but we r still trying to figure out y this bizaare motion is happening ,

we were so desperate ,that we even try to sneak the religious books on major religion ,holy bible does not mention anywhere nor vedas ,but in quran we came to know of this which was quite unusual for us to know ,but we did not got any reason y it is been done  its simply mention that  it will happen 3 times and it will be long days  and all repentance will be over , it is mentioned on
Chapter 02:Verse258:- "Abraham said, Verily!Allah causes the sun to rise from east; then cause it to rise from the west"
2) Chapter 06:Verse158:- "The day (ie. Portents of the hour e.g., sun rising from the west)that some of the signs of your Lord (Allah) do come, no good will it do to a person to believe then, if he believed not before, nor earned good through his faith"

we really dont know how a illiterate like MUSLIM PROPHET MUHAMMAD(SAW) came to know of this 1400 YRS AGO,certainly there is some kind of divine intervention in it, but also HAS blowed our minds away .
Please if u know any of these verse or came to know the exact meaning of these verses ,please let me know

THANK YOU

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2010 10:17:25 »
Hmm don't think so :)the inertia is enormous as soul surfer described it :)

And even if there came to be forces wanting to reverse the Earts motion I would expect it to take much more than a year. What I expect to worry us 2012 isn't that, but the development of global warming, the effect of the climate changes and the exploitation we will see as the Arctic becomes ice free. I expect us to find lesser fauna, and a lesser flora, the marine ecosystems will be depleted and as we already see in the Baltic sea here in Sweden a lot more of the oceans becoming oxygen free, in wider and wider areas, effectively killing off all fish. That as the seas assimilates the atmospheres CO2 in their so called heatsinks, which as a by-side also have the effect of making the oceans acid and anaerobic, as the CO2 gets assimilated.

And when the seas starts to die?
And lose, at least, the type of life we are used too?
At that time we might expect the seas to be so saturated with CO2 that the cycle might reverse and the seas free CO2 instead of taking it up any more. There are other types of life that can live without oxygen, but we're not one of them.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2010 10:35:28 by yor_on »

Post by foofoo click to view.

Offline foofoo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/01/2011 19:41:48 »
Shrunk
brother ,Professionaly I m a computer engineer n m involved in the software development of changing of earths dipole moment and magnetism,n we hv came across some serious matter ,when I was in 12 I studied in my 12th physics the difeerence between geographical pole n north pole is 23 degree,now its 26 degree acc to our recent finding ,it has totally blowed our minds away n it is going so.... ,ACC to the 3 dimensional theory f(force),B(magnetic filed) and I current ,if the magnetic flux continues to change it will change the current and ultimately the flow of the liquid core and then its axial motion,this is how what will be happening but the things r happening in reversal order ,i.e liquid flow above between lower mantle  and solid core is slowing and is changing its direction,If that happens I m pretty sure the liquid core will go in retro direction ,changing the axial motion of earth ,its a matter of time we will see  sun rising from west but not for long it will change its course and will be back to its original motion,so hurray ,the same thing happened with mars on 30 july , but we r still trying to figure out y this bizaare motion is happening ,

we were so desperate ,that we even try to sneak the religious books on major religion ,holy bible does not mention anywhere nor vedas ,but in quran we came to know of this which was quite unusual for us to know ,but we did not got any reason y it is been done  its simply mention that  it will happen 3 times and it will be long days  and all repentance will be over , it is mentioned on
Chapter 02:Verse258:- "Abraham said, Verily!Allah causes the sun to rise from east; then cause it to rise from the west"
2) Chapter 06:Verse158:- "The day (ie. Portents of the hour e.g., sun rising from the west)that some of the signs of your Lord (Allah) do come, no good will it do to a person to believe then, if he believed not before, nor earned good through his faith"

we really dont know how a illiterate like MUSLIM PROPHET MUHAMMAD(SAW) came to know of this 1400 YRS AGO,certainly there is some kind of divine intervention in it, but also HAS blowed our minds away .
Please if u know any of these verse or came to know the exact meaning of these verses ,please let me know

THANK YOU

Hey there,
I just want you to know that i'm also amazed and fascinated by what I have found in the Quran's verses and specially in the Hadiths (The sayings of Prophet Mohammad).
Here's some of them:
(Sayings of Prophet Mohammad):
"Becoming a Believer will be of no benefit after the sun rises from the West."
"Hasten to do good deeds before six (things happen): Rising of the sun from the West..."

There's also some Quran verses which I have read and will post them later
I hope I have helped you.

Cheers.
[Accidental repeated quote removed. Shrunk as off-topic - A. Mod]
« Last Edit: 20/01/2011 20:44:06 by peppercorn »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 20/01/2011 19:41:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length