The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Chillis NOT go off ?  (Read 9986 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Do Chillis NOT go off ?
« on: 21/10/2008 12:17:45 »
Dearest  Chilli Luffers,

see My Chilli !

Nice eh ?..I have to say, it's quite a nice piccy isn't it ? My chilli is such a media tart..it just luffs the camera !!!

Look here's a pack of dried ones !

As soon as I have the courage I may actually consider opening  the pack and using them !

I was watching a foody program !..I luff foody programs !..and they mentioned that there's no need to throw chillis away because they don't go off !..they just dry up ! This was three weeks ago.....Having recently taken delivery of the above chilli (there were three others) I decided to do what they said and just retain that one for some empirical study ( I firmly believe in that ewe know !)...Three weeks later, as ewe can see , it's still happy, looking a little shriveled but there is certainly no mould ! I even used part of it last night.....

Why's that then?..why do chillies NOT go off ? Do you think my cutting the above chilli has compromised it's longevity ?

Please to be telling me your answers here in this forum right here !

Thanking ewe

Neil
Luffing My Chillis

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
mwah mwah mwah mwah !

blakestyger

« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2008 16:23:57 »
Good point - I grow my own chillies and all we do is leave them in a bowl in the kitchen over the winter and they gradually shrivel up and look just like the ones you can buy as dried chillies. Cutting your chilli should make no difference so long as you keep it dry - we routinely only use a half one and chuck the rest back in the bowl. I'm still using some from last year.

I guess there is such a small amount of moisture that it's hardly sufficient for bacteria/fungi to get established. This isn't the case with red and green peppers, from the same family but much fleshier, as they go rotten quite soon once cut. I don't think the hot stuff in the chilli (capsaicin) contributes to it's keeping qualities.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2008 18:27:43 »
Good point - I grow my own chillies and all we do is leave them in a bowl in the kitchen over the winter and they gradually shrivel up and look just like the ones you can buy as dried chillies. Cutting your chilli should make no difference so long as you keep it dry - we routinely only use a half one and chuck the rest back in the bowl. I'm still using some from last year.

I guess there is such a small amount of moisture that it's hardly sufficient for bacteria/fungi to get established. This isn't the case with red and green peppers, from the same family but much fleshier, as they go rotten quite soon once cut. I don't think the hot stuff in the chilli (capsaicin) contributes to it's keeping qualities.

Thank Ewe so much blakestyger for your wonderful response.

I was kind of thinking if the capsicum might have had sonmething to do with it but your comment about the nature of the moisture content seems very reasonable. I think I will keep my chilli as an ongoing work in progress and perhaps, once a month take another photo and post it here !

Thanks also for the tip about keeping the cut chilli dry !

That's fantastic about growing your own....what's your fave chilli usage ?

blakestyger

« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2008 19:02:52 »
Spaghetti amatriciana - a coating sauce with onion, smoked bacon, garlic, chilli, tomato
OR
a Brazilian soup/stew with with pork belly, chorizo, red peppers, black beans, pinto beans, garlic, ground coriander, red onions, tomatoes, chicken stock and savoy cabbage.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2008 19:35:16 »
Spaghetti amatriciana - a coating sauce with onion, smoked bacon, garlic, chilli, tomato
OR
a Brazilian soup/stew with with pork belly, chorizo, red peppers, black beans, pinto beans, garlic, ground coriander, red onions, tomatoes, chicken stock and savoy cabbage.

*mouth waters*

I love Chorizo, I love savoy cabbage, I love Coriander...I love it all !!

*le yummy*

Do Chilli's readily grow in UK climate ?

*stupid question as obviously you manage to cultivate some chilli goodness*

blakestyger

« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2008 19:59:54 »
Chillies I grow are the long thin red ones, about 3 - 4 inches. I get 2 plants from a local nursery for about 50p each and put them in an unheated greenhouse early May with the tomatoes. Each plant produces about 40 fruit.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2008 20:05:32 »
Chillies I grow are the long thin red ones, about 3 - 4 inches. I get 2 plants from a local nursery for about 50p each and put them in an unheated greenhouse early May with the tomatoes. Each plant produces about 40 fruit.

Big respect !...Do you have to re-stock the plants every year or can you coax another yield from the ones you have ?..presumably they are very difficult to grow from the seeds ?

Offline Make it Lady

• Neilep Level Member
  • Hands-on fun for everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2008 20:07:26 »
Grow your chilies in the green house or on a hot windowsill. I treat mine like tomato plants but they still grow chilies. Iget two crops sometimes but you have to keep them in a cool but sunny room. They are not hardy.
If you store your chilies in the fridge they do get damp enough to go off. I just threw a packet of mouldy green chilies.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21/10/2008 20:18:30 »
Grow your chilies in the green house or on a hot windowsill. I treat mine like tomato plants but they still grow chilies. Iget two crops sometimes but you have to keep them in a cool but sunny room. They are not hardy.
If you store your chilies in the fridge they do get damp enough to go off. I just threw a packet of mouldy green chilies.

I haven't got a green house...can I (ab)use yours ?

So, a fridge is a no no !...thanks for the tip !

awwww...what a shame to have to chuck them away ! ....did ewe perchance chuck em in the food recycling bin ?...we got one last week from the council...do ewe have yours yet ?

blakestyger

« Reply #9 on: 22/10/2008 22:32:32 »
It would be possible to save the seeds from one chilli, dry them, and grow them the next year - but I can't be arsed. It's so easy to get cheap established plants round here.

I had two aubergine plants as well; they make lovely foliage plants with attractive lilac flowers but only produced three obos between them - I think they need more room and sun than my small glass house allows.

Baby cucumbers are fun - they climb all over the place (I train them up to the roof space so they hang down in a lush kind of way) and are very easy in a grow bag. I let them get to about 9" and got about 20 from one plant.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 22/10/2008 22:32:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums