The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could there be an intelligent designer?  (Read 11927 times)

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
Could there be an intelligent designer?
« Reply #25 on: 13/01/2009 16:19:13 »
Sometimes I wonder...

anyway, one cannot really state that there are several inefficient systems in nature, when he doesn't completely understand everything about nature.  Every little tweak in a single creature's genetic structure would have large and lasting effects in the local ecosystem if it was to be adopted.  How do we know that these inefficient systems are only their to provide a cushion for human error?

That is another important subject on the matter: Human error.  Many of the examples you cited were of inefficient systems that were actually designed, but by humans.

one of the main things of religion is the principle of free will, and that all problems are borne of human error, not of an Intelligent Designer.

I am always open to proof otherwise, yet have never been convinced against it.

Offline bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14/01/2009 19:30:23 »
No, but there could be an unintelligent designer.
One who thought food and air should enter the body using the same hole creating a risk of choking. Also that babies' heads and penises should exit or enter the body using the same hole. Oh sorry free will explains the last one doesn't it? The designer is angry because one day a girl ate the wrong piece of fruit. 

lyner

« Reply #27 on: 14/01/2009 22:42:44 »
The idea of an intelligent designer is attractive and a lot easier to cope with than the idea of there not being one. There is no intellectual effort required because it puts everything not understood into the care of a superior being (a father figure). I can quite see how such an attitude is the result of the very evolution which the Creationsts reject. It is the ultimate 'instinctive' behaviour which gives a species an excellent chance of surviving.
Evolutionary theories could have only appeared once the scientific attitude was developed.
Of course they are rejected by many people; they are far too hard and the evidence is very tenuous and subtle, compared with many other modern scientific ideas.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 14/01/2009 22:42:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums