The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why aren't men encouraged to get "annuals" like women are?  (Read 12829 times)

Offline blaze

• View Profile
Why aren't men encouraged to get "annuals" like women are?
« Reply #25 on: 29/10/2008 23:27:06 »
Why are you so darn proud to be an atheist anyway?

And the rest of your comment is just plain wrong.

Why do doctor's do breast exams on women then? - certainly we can both see and feel for lumps ourselves. And the female cervix is not any more hidden than the male prostrate is.

And considering I'm 43 and from the age of 18 up until about 2 years ago I went for my annual exam like clockwork - how much money did they (or I) save by doing this? What dreadful disease did getting these yearly exams prevent or correct? Seems to me they wasted a lot of money, though I imagine my gyns made some, and the makers of the PAP test made some, and the labs made some, too. When they got me to take Premarin for my alleged menopause, the pharmaceutical companies got some, too.

And here's where your argument really falls apart. I no longer have a cervix because it was removed along with my uterus. So why do I need to go in every year to have these cervical cells that no longer exist checked for potential malignancies? - especially since vaginal cancer is pretty darn rare? - much less common than that of the prostate.

I think the tone of your response here answers this question...

1) Because men are in control of healthcare and make the rules.
2) Because men are in control of everything financial.
3) Because men are in control of women.

...so maybe because men are in control?

Actually, my next question is going to be - why are most gynecologists male anyway?

Offline blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29/10/2008 23:36:16 »
By the way, I don't believe you're not circumcised. Prove it.

This is a science forum, remember?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30/10/2008 18:07:32 »
"And the rest of your comment is just plain wrong.

Why do doctor's do breast exams on women then? - certainly we can both see and feel for lumps ourselves. "

Beacuse,as I said, it saves money- Women generally know about 2 breasts- their own. Their doctors have a wider range of experience and know what to look out for. Selfe examination is a valuable thing but medical backup still saves lives. Why are you so set against it?

"And the female cervix is not any more hidden than the male prostrate is."
Now you are arguing against yourself. Men do get their prostates checked; why shouldn't women get their cervices checked?

By the way, I don't believe you're not circumcised. Prove it.

How?
I'm quite prepared (as many people here know) to spend time refuting pseudoscience that's so wrong as to be just plain silly, but even I draw the line at the impossible.

Offline blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30/10/2008 21:47:40 »
Not true.

Not only are the vast majority of breast lumps found by the woman herself, but a woman's breasts change according to where she is in her cycle. This is why women are being encouraged to examine them monthly on their own (in between their annuals, of course), so that they get to know what they feel like, because not every change is a cause for concern - it may be normal for her.

So unless a woman takes her gyn home with her every night for a 'feel', it's unlikely a doctor will be more familiar with her breasts than she is.

And men don't get their prostate checked annually.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 30/10/2008 21:47:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums