The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is their pain relief without pain meds??? I really need some help!  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hi..

I am only using 1 hydrocodone 10/325 at night..Problem is after morning my pain has been off the chart and I am loosing the ability to stay mobile.. My hips are not good particularly my right one so the left is getting worse because it is bearing the load when the other can't.. My walker and crutch  helps some but the pain is 10 + on a scale of 1 to 10 even then... Today has been an horrendous day for pain... I have been in tears most all day... I have tried most everything I can think of.. including my physical therapy but feel its is causing more damage then good.. I can handle sore muscles, but not the joint pain... it is horrible and I am not tolerating it well. I do not wish to take more pain meds... but to try to manage the pain .. so far it has only become more intense...

Please any suggestions would be very appreciated... I am fixing to stop walking altogether if I can't get this pain under control..... I just cannot bear any weight on this right hip.. every time I step down it feels like something snaps in the joint and it pops out and the pain is so intense it takes me down with it...

I am at my wits end.. and without pain meds the doctors have been unsuccessful at making this any better...

Any ideas I can try here I will try..Meditation has not helped..

what else? Is There any alternatives to try?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I think hypnotherapy works for some people- you might want to look into it.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I think hypnotherapy works for some people- you might want to look into it.

I never would have thought about that.. I doubt seriously I would be easily hypnotized.. but it is worth looking into.. I understand one needs to be open to that in order for it to work!

Thank you BC.. I will look into it!

Offline Pseudogene

• View Profile
I never would have thought about that.. I doubt seriously I would be easily hypnotized.. but it is worth looking into.. I understand one needs to be open to that in order for it to work!

One also needs to be a good actor to go along with it.  Not entirely sure of the medical applications of hypnosis, it seems a bit borderline as to whether it actually works, bit like acupuncture.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Karen,  I know this sounds nutty, but I did this a few years ago when my wrists, elbows, knees and ankles became so inflamed, swollen and painful that I couldn't function.  Within 30 minutes of being hooked up the swelling went down, and the pain was significantly reduced.  Within a few hours, I was completly well and have never had that problem since. 

Am considering doing it for the fibromyalgia as it's become almost unbearable, but there isn't anyplace around here to go and it's a little on the pricey side.  I don't remember how much it cost, but I think it was around $150.

http://www.quantumenergywellness.com/index-7.htm

Hope you start feeling better.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks carolyn.. That is a lot of information.. I will read further into it.. thanks very much.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

One also needs to be a good actor to go along with it.  Not entirely sure of the medical applications of hypnosis, it seems a bit borderline as to whether it actually works, bit like acupuncture.

Thanks I understand that point of view. + have also heard good and bad from different sources..personally my mom had some hipno therapy but not all was successful...but some was!

Offline Yogi

• First timers
    • View Profile
Check out mindfulness based stress reduction and the research regarding its ability to reduce pain. It is a program based on meditation and reduces pain about 40% or so in chronic pain patients in only a couple of months of practice. Also check out the articles on pain vs suffering on shinzen youngs homepage on how meditating can teach you how to live with the pain that does not go away.

Offline Pwee

• View Profile

Thanks I understand that point of view. + have also heard good and bad from different sources..personally my mom had some hipno therapy but not all was successful...but some was!

Hi Karen, although it's not a miracle cure, hypnosis does help. Trust real science on that one:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2753288/?tool=pubmed
This is just one recent review, there are thousands of similar ones in the literature. Use pubmed search to get to more specific studies.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums