The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would Vitiligo remove the pigments in Tattoos?  (Read 6249 times)

Offline ibeecoo

• First timers
    • View Profile
Would Vitiligo remove the pigments in Tattoos?
« on: 27/10/2008 22:23:10 »
If vitiligo spread to an area of the body that had a tattoo on it, would that tattoo disappear?

Mod edit - Formatted the subject as a question - please do this to help keep the forum tidy and easy to navigate - thanks!
« Last Edit: 28/10/2008 11:16:31 by BenV »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Would Vitiligo remove the pigments in Tattoos?
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2008 22:54:03 »
No, vitiligo is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the cells which produce pigment (melanocytes).
The tattoo dyes would be unaffected. The tattoo would look more obvious as it would now be on unpigmented skin.

Offline ibeecoo

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Would Vitiligo remove the pigments in Tattoos?
« Reply #2 on: 28/10/2008 03:36:19 »
Thanks again for the quick reply!

lyner

« Reply #3 on: 28/10/2008 14:47:07 »
I don't know why they don't develop a dye which can be eradicated easily? A tattoo is a really scary prospect for someone as (small c) conservative as I.
They can look really attactive for a few years but old skin with old, blurry, tattoos looks a lot worse than old skin without.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/10/2008 21:34:00 »
Allegedly "semi-permanent" tattoos are possible which fade after a few years, but some dispute this...

I’m guessing you’ve probably heard of the “semi-permanent” tattoo – the one that only lasts 6 months. Or was that 6 years? No one seems to know, because it can’t be done. However, the rumors are real – there are even some tattooers claiming they can do it – some of them say the tattoo will last six months to a year. Some say 3 to 5 years. The 3-5 year ones are actually smarter - I mean, who's going to even be able to find them in 3-5 years to tell them they were wrong? 
http://tattoo.about.com/cs/beginners/a/aa032103a.htm

The permanent ones can fade and change colour: the blacks can go blue or green. 
« Last Edit: 28/10/2008 21:44:13 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 28/10/2008 21:34:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length