The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: QotW - 08.11.03 - Does time go faster as you age?  (Read 38429 times)

Offline DrN

• View Profile
QotW - 08.11.03 - Does time go faster as you age?
« Reply #25 on: 28/03/2009 12:00:52 »
No, the 80s was the day before yesterday. The 90s was yesterday.

Can't believe its nearly 12 years since I started uni! I'm sure I was only 22 last week.

Offline DrN

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28/03/2009 12:01:43 »
No, the 80s was the day before yesterday. The 90s was yesterday.

Can't believe its nearly 12 years since I started uni! I'm sure I was only 22 last week.

Offline textilesinfomediarydotcom

• First timers
  • textiles infomediary - online business solution
    • View Profile
    • Textiles Infomediary - Online Business Solution for textiles Industries.
« Reply #27 on: 05/04/2009 14:14:41 »
Times always have present motion. We are not in a position to hold it. But many times we repent at present for our past did and keep worrying about future. If and if we could able to concentrate in present ur time shall never run faster or slower too. :D

Ethos

« Reply #28 on: 13/04/2009 04:12:22 »
Isn't this analogous to hand-cranked movie cameras...
If the cameraman turned the crank too quickly when recording, "over-cranked", the film would be in slow motion when projected at the normal rate.  Turning the crank too slowly, "under-cranking", would speed up motion when the film was projected at the normal rate.

The internal clock slowing with age is analogous to "under-cranking" and causes the perception of time passing to speed up.

[A digital version of this analogy would involve using different sampling rates, the sampling rate decreasing in frequency with age]
I absolutely agree with this view. The older one gets, their ability to process information slows down. While we're young, our brains are more able to analyze greater quanities of data, this activity fills up our time with more information to scrutinize. This would naturely have the effect of causing our preception of it's passage to slow down. Conversely, the opposite will happen as our brains become less efficient resulting in the illusion that time is speeding up.............Ethos

Offline Dr Guz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01/05/2009 09:49:18 »
I did notice this for sure and here follow reasons applicable to me I would guess.

When I was young, the world was more simple virtually, I kept myself busy with real practical things, also at school the pace was slower, so time did exist for things I was busy exploring or doing, small periods[%] of time flying excisted.

Today, years later and especially since the 1990's things tend to speed up time.
Busy with virtual stuff rather than using a spade, make time go fly by as your brain is more occupied as time passes rather than your body.

In the military, marching up  down the time passed slowly for me. Sitting in front of a computer, the time flies, or interesting stuff at work, the time flies.
The more I feel I make a contrabution to work, the faster the time flies.

Today large periods of flying time excists[%] for me. That does not mean I actually accoplished more 24/7.

Imagine this:All the AC/DC power of the whole world switched off for one year...I can imagine that year will slow down considerably[perception], even if I went older.??

Obstacles

None
« Reply #30 on: 03/06/2009 23:37:37 »
Very little research exists on this subject, but it has been researched.  The pervading wisdom points mostly toward the posts here that mention "novelty" of experiences.  When young, most all experiences are new or unknowns.  As we get older, we go through many routines each day that hardly require new input to accomplish, since the data already exists in our minds (kind of like autopilot).  And after a certain age, we are capable of metacognition--thinking about our thinking.  So, when something NEW comes along, we have enough experience behind us to 'create' a scenario in our mind that accomplishes the anticipated end from our own means).  The novelty, that used to stretch our minds to create our own unique perception of experiences, has worn away and an internal routine has taken over.  You would need to have an extremely life altering experience, see through someone else's eyes or lose your complete memory to experience the same kind of novelty as when quite young.  Time isn't moving any faster than it was years ago, and your perception hasn't really changed either.  It's just that your mind is too busy routing all of your past experience to make your daily routines flow--and sometimes become more efficient--to be able to allow your mind to basically 'surprise' itself anymore.

Offline Shane Killeen

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12/06/2009 11:28:27 »
My own take on this is that is not a matter of perception but a matter of consciousness. Consciousness is a kind of generalised awareness which takes into account our every day perceptions, our memories, our dreams, our sensory imput, our feelings or emotions etc. As children this generalised awareness is limited as we are still trying to form links between all of those everyday perceptions. Our general sense of the world is that is is fast and immediate.

An older person would have a more expanded consciousness and all processing would be through a matrix of linked preperceptions that would take longer, giving us a sense of the paced and the sedate. Effectively there is more time to think and thinking takes more time.

jen

None
« Reply #32 on: 29/04/2012 03:01:04 »
could it be that the way we experience time is related to the speed which we are traveling away from the center of the universe?
if it's true that the universe is expanding at an exponentially increasing speed, could this cause time to speed up for us as time passes here on earth (as measured by the earth orbiting the sun)?

The Naked Scientists Forum

None
« Reply #32 on: 29/04/2012 03:01:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums